2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Paint Price? Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Price? Help

Hey Guys. Looking into get my truck Repainted High gloss, Reflective metallic flake, Black. Im not going to maco.. have seen there work. My truck is gray some im gonna have a total strip down and minor body work.. Bumpers will be stripped along with grill. Havnt looked into it much yet.. but has anyone had a problem with stripping the chrome coat off the bumpers and grilles.. im sure there will be a nice diffrence in thickness.. but was hoping the paint would build it back up. If not im gonna buy black bumpers and grille. Just trying to get an estimate.. searched around a bit and everything is around 3 grand. Whatcha Think?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Paint Price? Help

Well, there are several variables in your question, but the overall factor is location, location, and location. You're looking at supplies, type of paint, and the experience of the painter. You can have someone charge you $1,500 and lay out a fantastic paint job, and then you can have someone charge $5,000 and totally screw it up.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

Yea.. Was gonna try to get some commercial work done.. just because of the warranties, and obviously they would back it if they f'ed it up.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the bumpers, if there is no flaking or peeling, leave the chrome alone. They can shoot it with an etching primer to give the paint something to bite into and the finished surface will be much smoother.
And definately shop, shop, shop, and get referals. Then go see those referals.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

The grille def has chips.. havnt inspected the bumpers. Well I mean i have called a few places.. but im gonna check out some more... Thnx for the info.

Quick Reply: Paint Price? Help