2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 Oil Leak at the oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 AM
weebachle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 Oil Leak at the oil filter

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Magnum. Drove the truck to my friends workshop to Recharge the A/C. When I was about to drive away he noticed a large pool of oil under the truck. A look underneath showed oil (VERY black)was dripping quite rapidly from the oil filter. So I drained the oil, fitted a newOil filter and refilled with correct amount of oil. Same result, there was oil dripping from the oil filter. It is worth mentioning that both before and after the oil change it was impossible to read the oil level onthe dipstick, itshowed oil halfway up the dipstick. whichwas obviously not true. So I took off the Oil filter, removed the "bolt" that the filter screws onto and removed the "plate" that the oil filter square section o-ring seals against. I cleaned the plate and the block surface it mates with, thenapplied Loctite 518 sealant, refitted it and screwed on the Oil filter. When I started the truck the oil leakwas back again.There have been NO impacts etc that would have bent the oil filter or the plate it seals against, so poor mating surfaces between filter and engine are most probably NOT the cause. Is Very High oil pressure the cause of the leak and the dipstick unreadability? If it is,thenwhat would cause that high pressure? To be honest after this problem started I did not think to look at the oil pressure gauge and I can't look at it now, becausethe truck is right across the other side of town where I had to finally leave it in the early hours of this morning. If anyone has any ideas I would be very glad to hear them.
Thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ram 1500 Oil Leak at the oil filter

Moved to the 2nd Gen section, bump to the top.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ram 1500 Oil Leak at the oil filter

Check your PCV system and make sure it is sucking the gasses out of the crankcase. If it is not working properly, blow-by gas will build up pressure in the crankcase causing the high reading on the gauge and eventually blow your front and rear main seals too.

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 Oil Leak at the oil filter