2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C condenser just stopped working

Old 12-22-2004, 02:13 AM
Burtt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C condenser just stopped working

I have a 2001 1ton standard shift 4x4 Dodge dually. I've had no problems with the A/C since I bought new back in 2001. Two days ago the A/C was working great. It was about to freeze you out. It sat for 2 days in the driveway. When I got into it today, the compressor would not come on. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

Old 12-23-2004, 03:35 PM
RedRocket
Default RE: A/C condenser just stopped working

I had a similar problem. It ended up being that the A/C stopped working, I left it cause its the winter and there is no point in fixing it now, and having problems in the spring, when it can just get fixed in the spring. But after 2 weeks all of a sudden there was this high pitched squealing noise coming from the engine compartment. Further inspection showed that the pully on the A/C compressor had seized up. ( I didn't drive it after that) But I got it to start turning from some penitration oil. I took it to the dealership, they told me I had to replace the whole assembly ($900). I took it back to the shop that I bought it from, and they told me the clutch assembly had gone on it, and the ball bearings in the pulley was what did it. He replaced it for me at no charge and I have had no problems since. ( I just recently got it thats why the no charge.)

Old 12-24-2004, 10:56 AM
mardela
Rookie

Just a note....when you turn on your defrost, your a/c compressor will cycle on and off (normal operation). So I would not wait for spring to fix it.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:49 PM
RedRocket

I am not waiting till spring, its getting done over the holidays. I was just going to let it go if it was just the A/C, at that time I didn't know the compressor had troubles.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:05 AM
banwhalen
Rookie

Just got off the blower with mopar. I asked them about my compressor stopping and they said that if the system is low on freon it will not engage.

I have had my truck since I bought it new in 97, never had it recharged. Guess I am now.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Burtt

A leak check of the system showed evaperator core to be leaking. According to most shops contacted, this is a common problem from about 1998 up. This job cost about $1,000 and is recommended that the heater core and drier be replaced as the majority of this job is labor, as the dash has to be taken out and set on the ground to gain access.

Instead of all this, I decided to just trade it for an 2005 as I encounted a righteous deal (WITH AN EXTENDED WARRANTY).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C condenser just stopped working