2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oddball Drainplug

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oddball Drainplug

Today I had to change my oil. Everything was going fine until I went to put the drainplug back in. It wouldnt do it and after a closer look I saw that it was stripped. I figured it was no big deal so i just went to Oreileys to get another. I handed the man the drainplug and he looked it up on the computer and gave me a confused look. It wasnt a dodge drainplug. It was some kind of Fram aftermarket. So I bought a dodge plug. But I decided to go to Autozone just to be sure. Same story there. So I've got three drainplugs now. I get home and the only one that fits halfway right is the old stripped one. It doesn't fit perfectly because it's stripped of course. The dodge size plugs wont even go halfway in. As far as I know I have the original oil pan on the truck and the oil pan threads have never been stripped. Has anybody else ever had this problem with something as simple as a drainplug? Maybe my trucks just weird. Its one in a million already cause the rear seal went out and leaked oil all over my uncles (original owner) garage the night he bought it.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oddball Drainplug

Does your original drain plug have a rubber coating (gasket) on the back side?
Most of the OEM Chrysler ones do.
Someone probably lost or stripped the original and rammed that one in.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

No, its wasnt the original drainplug. It was an aftermarket Fram that they don't make anymore. It was cool though. you could just take part of it off and purge oil out. And i think your right someone just stuck the Fram in there after the original stripped. I guess im just going to have to pick the plug with the best fit and watch it very, very closely.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The aftermarket plug probably "re-threaded" the oil pan to its own thread pattern when it was forced into the pan. Now the OEM one won't fit that pattern. You would have to re-tap the oil pan to get the Dodge one to work. And you may have to use teflon tape on the threads too in the future.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
94ram360

if the pan is stripped you could also try using a time-cert. it's similar to a helicoil.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just stick a rag up in there and call it done.

Or you could try a tampon. Think I saw that on a McGuyver episode.

Seriously though, get a tap kit (best bet) or punch it straight out and put in an aftermarket piggyback plug.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Well I stuck the one with what I though was the best fit in there. I put a piece of wood under the oil pan all day today and I just checked it and it looks like two drops of oil came out. Theres just a tiny bit of oil that holds on the edge of the drainplug. Its probably not a big deal, but it bugs me. About how much does a tap kit cost? And how does it work?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check these...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...mp;D=%2D152232

They recut the threads in the metal for the new bolt...

Quick Reply: Oddball Drainplug