2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

auto to manual tranny swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual tranny swap?

hey everyone, well I knew it would happen my auto transmission in my truck began to act up today, the truck only has 82,000 miles, but today when I took off it just did not seem right it kind of studdered in between gears and then refused to stay in overdrive. I have been thinking and looking all over but cannot find any thing on switching to a manual transmission. Has anyone seen anything, please let me know

Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Slomojo01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: auto to manual tranny swap?

You've got some work cut out for you if you want to do that. New PCM, New Engine harness, new gauges, possibly new tranny mount, and some more new stuff. I liked what Silver Dodge suggested a while ago. Get a used tranny from a junkyard for a few hundred and hope it works, and keep doing that.

I would add, keep doing that until you learn how to rebuild the tranny yourself if you end up with a few spares in the backyard anyways.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:51 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: auto to manual tranny swap?

I would love to have a manual as I wanted one when I got my truck and couldn't find one but when it came down to it I decided it was more work than I wanted to mess with even though I'd love for it to be a manual. I went ahead and spent some extra money and got a APS. I figured I wanted it done right and so far I think it was worth it.

Quick Reply: auto to manual tranny swap?