2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:53 PM
Blaydrnnnr
|
Professional
Default Lifter replacement?

Anyone do a lifter replacement on a 5.9 ? Mine is a '97...just looking to see if theres anything I need to be aware of before hand.
Trouble getting them out?
Thanks.

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:18 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: Lifter replacement?

I replaced the lifters in my 01 when I installed my Harlan Sharps. When doing it make sure you notice how the oil hole on the side of the lifter points. I believe, but don't take this for gospel, that they will pointaway the head. Look how they are when you pull the old ones and install them back the same way. I am sure one of the Mopar techs on the forum here will speak up and tell you exactly how they should be.

I had to trim some of the overhang head gasket in order to get my lifters out without pulling the heads.

Also, do not pre-load the lifters with oil. Pre-loading them can cause the valves to open too far and smack into the tops of your pistons.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:44 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

That is correct, the oil holes go towards the center. There will be paint on the tips of the lifters to mark that side so you can give everything the once over before reassembly. The head gaskets have slots/holes that act kind of likepushrod guides. Bend these up on the extremes (1,2,7,&8) to remove and install those lifters, and then justbend them back down. They don't have to be perfect- just close. You don't want the metallic part of the head gasket to rub on the pushrod is the basic jyst of it.

Old 03-04-2008 | 02:56 PM
Blaydrnnnr
|
Professional

Thats the info I was looking for!!Thanks for the replies guys... as some of you might have already read, I'm doing the Hughes plenum, 180 T-stat, and figured nows a good time for the lifters and rods and Harland Sharps and new valve coversto go on... with this being my first Mopar.. I need any info I can get..lifters seem pretty straight forward...I read an older post and saw the comment on the gasket in the way on the outer cylinders.. just wasnt sure if on my older 5.9 that would be the same situation... thanks for the heads up on just bending them up and back.. I'll make sure the gasket doesnt contact the rod... and look for the markings and oil holes.. ( oil holes point in towards the valley.. away from the heads....got it!!) Thanks again guys..!!

Old 03-05-2008 | 03:55 PM
Blaydrnnnr
|
Professional

So I'm not supposed to pre-load them? Wow.. good thing I asked for advice.. I thought they would need to be..( was worried about a dry start inside the lifter..)I thought I remembered on the Rhoads web site that they recommend pre-loading...( I'm not buying Rhoads..but was shopping around..)but then again.. I think most Rhoads are for performance cams and such.. with adjustable rockers...Thanks for the reply...and advice!

Old 03-05-2008 | 04:23 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

If you are using mopar lifters, stock length rods,your stock cam, and have had no head work done,preload will be in the correct range with the Harland Sharps.If youbought non-adj.'s there is no way to set the preload anyway.All hydrauliclifters need preload to keep the rod seat from slamming into the retaing ring. Rhoads lifters are bleed down lifters, and will make your motor sound like it is broken. I have a set with ~50 miles on them sitting in the garage. They are very annoying.

Old 03-05-2008 | 04:44 PM
Blaydrnnnr
|
Professional

Mopowar.. sent you a PM.. I really dont want to be a bother.. but this is my first lifter job..and want to make sure I am getting this right...with stock cam, stock replacement lifters, and rods.. and the HS 1.7's...non-adjustables..... filling the lifters IS required? is there a prefered way to do it? Rhoads was saying to plunge the rod seat to fill them I think. otherwise.. its a dry install? lubed on just the outside?

Old 03-06-2008 | 06:42 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

WHen I installed my HS 1.6 non-adjustables, new lifters, and new pushrods I did not pre-load them. Idid useassembly lube during assembly. If you are concerned about a dry start, after installation, remove your coil wire and turn the engine over for about 10 seconds. That will provide enough oil into the lifters to prevent any dry start issues. I did not do this because I was told not to worry about it and have had no issues.

Best I can say is do what you are most comfortable with as each of us does have a little bit of different advice to offer.

Old 03-06-2008 | 03:11 PM
Blaydrnnnr
|
Professional

Thanks for the reply.. I understand now.... thanks for helping me out guys.... I really appreciate it!! Hit dear this morning.. broke one of my smiley face KC lites... gonna have to order another... the bully bar on the front really did its job... WHEW!!

Quick Reply: Lifter replacement?