2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 dodge ram no bus no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99 dodge ram no bus no start

I guess you can try unplugging the rest of the computers one by one.
Air bag controller, abs, CTM (body computer) Instrument cluster and PCM.
I think that all of them.
Other than that I think you going to have to take it in.
Good Luck

Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 AM
RealGirlsDriveTrucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck did the same thing. It would just randomly not start at first... then it would just randomly die after it reached normal operating temp. When I tried to start it nothing happened, and the odometer read NO BUS. After it sat for an hour or so and cooled off, it would start right up. It ended up it was the computer. I ordered one off a remanufactured site for $300, my husband replaced it, and I haven't had any problems out of it since.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
dodgegirl99

This is what happened: my truck stopped running and my BF thought it was the fuel pump so he replaced it..didn't fix the problem...someone told me it may be the PCM replaced that ..didn't fix the problem...it cranks over but does not start...the odometer read NO BUS...not alot of spark..tryed unplugging one at a time the Crank sensor, distributor sync, MAP, TPS didn't fix problem

Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
benks16

I had the no bus code and checked all those things and even took it to the dealership and all I ended up doing was changing the battery and everything has been fine since.

Just an idea...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 PM
dodgegirl99

new battery

Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
dodgegirl99

ill try it

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
dodgegirl99

Didn't work

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

looks like its time to take her out back and put her down... [sm=violent053.gif]

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 PM
weld48
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASE READ I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!!!! DO NOT REPLACE YOUR PCM......... IT FAILS AGAIN BECAUSE OF THE CRANKCASE SENSOR PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a 99' dakota with the same PCM problem, it had had it for years.....NOW I HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!as i know it always seems to be the first plug on your PCM that you have to jiggle to get the cluster to reset once it's cooled down.................the real problem is NOT the pcm NO BUS.... it is your CRANKCASE sensor located on the BELL HOUSING......remove the starter and the bell housing cover and blow it out repetedley ensure all the small dust like metal fillings are out.........remove the crankcase sensor...there is only two mounting bolts....pull it and the wires out carefully from the bell housing......IMEDIATELY you'll notice that this sensor is MAGNETIC AND COVERED IN METAL SHAVINGS!!!!!with some sensor cleaner and a small pick you should be able to remove all the particals from the sensor put everything back the way you found it NO NEW PARTS ARE NESSECARY!!!!you'll now find you can run that truck all damn day in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!just remeber in a few weeks pull the sensor back out and maintain
cleaning it won't be long before you have all the pestering filings out that block the sensor from reading your crank and shut down your VEHICHAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!my truck has been running in the hot sun now for three weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STUPID MAGNETIC SENSORS!!! PLEASE READ THIS IT IT AND EASY FIX TRUST ME NO NEW PARTS OR SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED

Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Mike Heath

My truck will sometimes do this, all that causes it for me is the main plug on the fuse box under the hood. It gets a little loose i just unplug and then plug it back in has worked for me about 6 times in past two years.

Quick Reply: 99 dodge ram no bus no start