2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shifts hard at foll trottle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifts hard at foll trottle

well i think my tranny oil is very old.ive alway been afraid of changeing tranny fluid, j/from story ive herd,i have no problem with any thing to do with the engine, ive done heads,rr,manifold,but ive alway brought vehicals to the shop so they could pump all new tranny fluid thru the system.so what im asking is, fluid is full, checked it in park+neutral,would old or dirty fluid make it shift hard.at normal driving you cant tell but at high rev it shifts kind of right into it, instead of winding out into it.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 PM
engineblock
Veteran
Default RE: shifts hard at foll trottle

do you know if it has a shift kit but the old tranny fluid will not make it shift hard

Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
pipeking
Veteran

no shift kit. it just does it going into 2nd

Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

dont be afraid of a tranny fluid change. very simple. take out the bolts, drain the fluid, change the filter (3 hex bolts), line the gasket up, put the pan back on, refill.

alot of people say dont flush a tranny, it can make it take a turn for the worst. i personally use some lucas tranny fix in mine, and it keeps it healthy.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 AM
pipeking
Veteran

does that change all the fluid.isnt there still alot cought up in the top,and converter,and cooler.see i thought best way to do it was to open the pan, drain fluid ,change filter, and then put back together, and then hook it up to a pump machine to pump all new fluid thru the system.this is the way the oil gerages do it.and that is the only thing i have ever brought my truck to the shop for, to change tranny oil, is that weak or what.well since you did yours moterbreath and you said lucas (i luv lucas)i would like to copy you.so what kind of atf did you use,also you use the same atf in the transfer case.what is a tranny flush.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 AM
pipeking
Veteran

ive herd alot of storys that goes like this. i just changed the atf in my tranny and put a new filter in,i didnt get to far down the road and my tranny blew.now these are storys from people i would trust to do this proseger.im not afraid to attack any job on my truck accept for the tranny.

Quick Reply: shifts hard at foll trottle