2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bleh! Swamp Intake.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleh! Swamp Intake.

I was driving around low on fuel, and my truck was runnin funny, so I go to put some in, drive it home, and noticed a serious lack of power. It was driving awfully weird around 45 mph. I didn't take it as a tranny problem, so I got home and checked my oil. Yeah, there wasn't any lol. IT WAS ALL IN MY INTAKE!!! What wasn't burnt up looked like a swamp down in there. I put some oil in it and refilled the coolant and it straightened back out. But my Cat was making a sound like rrrr....rrrrr.....rrrrr.....rrrrr. It wasn't consistent but systematic.

So, I guess what's next is the Tune-up, plenum gasket (no funds for the kit just yet), and replace the cat. I figure this all would run under 200 dollars, if i get a universal cat for 60-70 dollars, the summit tune up kit for 50, and a gasket for whatever NAPA charges, lol, and installation for the cat.

After that, I'll replace the two o2 sensors, plenum kit and then get a thrush glass pack and mr gasket cleaner.

How's that sound for improving my situation?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bleh! Swamp Intake.

Certainly sounds like a step in the right direction

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Now, I haven't checked into the flow ratings too much of mufflers and glasspacks, but I assume the packs flow more freely.

Man, cat's are going up in price. The direct-fit from Summit (magnaflow) use to be 159 a month ago and now it's 206. geez.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say skip the cat and get the plenum kit...do you really want to go to the trouble of replacing the gasket, knowing that you aren't REALLY fixing the problem?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Well the cat rattles. It just sounds awful. I know it wouldn't be a permanent fix at all, but it would be good practice lol.

Oh not to mention this random squeaking i'm getting around the fan, not sure what to do to fix that one. It's very sporadic.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
pipeking
Veteran

what do you mean, its not fixing the problem ram2k

Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pipeking

what do you mean, its not fixing the problem ram2k
He saying replacing the gasket isnt a permanent fix like getting the whole plenum kit.He will replace it when he has the funds.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Ok I was going through the DIY; Do I have to take off the accesory bracket, belt, fan shroud, etc if I'm just doing the plenum gasket/kit?

When I take all this off, is it worth it to set the injectors in one of those jewelry cleaners? I noticed my grandma has one up here, and doesn't look like it's been used.

Quick Reply: Bleh! Swamp Intake.