2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running rough at startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
mikecjn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rough at startup

For a while now after a rain or snow storm my truck runs rough. Starts bucking and skipping...no power, etc. After a couple miles it will come out of it and runs fine from there on out.
My initial thought was water getting into the distributer and after warming up it must have burned off.
The problem however has gotten worse. Now rain or shine it is doing it. Every day.Again after a mile or 2 it clears up. If you park it for 15-20 min and restart it, it does it all over again.
Doesn't really sound like water anymore. I am going to pick up new plugs and wires and a new distributer and rotor tomorrow from Napa.
Does it sound like that is the problem though?? I don't get a CEL. It starts to blink on and off but never registers a code.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Running rough at startup

Sounds like a real good place to start.
Humid or wet weather is usually ignition related

Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
mikecjn
Professional

I am going to grab everything today at Napa...question about the wires. I see Napa has a set but they are 7mm. I hear everyone talking about the 8mm Jeggs. Are the 7mm fine or are the 8mm what is recommended?
I will grab the Autolite 3923's everyone suggests but I don't want to pay $50 on crappy wires if they aren't gonna be any good.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

Mine had same issues changed wires and now runs like a champ. might want to opt for the bigger wires they seem last longer, i opted for the 7mm but i dont mind changing them every 2yrs or so

Quick Reply: Running rough at startup