2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help-Interior Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
nater_660
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-Interior Questions???

I was searching the fourms for painting the interior of my truck and i found a few posts but none that really awnser my questions.so here are my questions:
1. How well does painting an interior hold up? will the paint crack and fade right away or will it be ok?
2. Would the plastic krylon paint work for painting the dash or are there any others?(on a budget), will be changing whole interior if i do it so matching color isnt a concern.

I have a good idea about preping it and all of the stuff that you have to do before painting. Im also looking to herculine the floor, so i cant decide on a color of the interior right now, any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
notoes68
Default RE: Help-Interior Questions???

My brother painted the interior of his mustang last year with krylon paint, and there hasn't been any cracking or fading so it seems to be okay. As for the dash, i'm not sure.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 AM
nater_660

thanks for the reply, yeah i think everything else would be fine ,but im curious to see what would happen to the dash. I am also undecided on a color scheme I kinda want it to match the rest of my truck (maroon,silver and black) but i want to get rid of that ugly red interior so that leaves me with black and silver which might look sharp???

Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

If you're painting just plastic, any paint will work, as long as you prep the surface. But if you're painting vinyl, you need a special type of interior paint that will dye and adhere to the vinyl.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
nater_660

o, ok yeah i dont plan on paiting any vinyl just the plastic panels in the truck would it still be to my advantage to use plastic paint though????

Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: dusty_duster

If you're painting just plastic, any paint will work, as long as you prep the surface. But if you're painting vinyl, you need a special type of interior paint that will dye and adhere to the vinyl.
absolutely make sure you prep. A friend of mine just pulled his pannels off and painted and 6 months later it looks like marble because of all the pealing.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Scott91370
Professional

I didthe dashlast truck- lasted for over 3 years before I sold it.
1) Clean the parts with soap & water
2) Clean the parts with alcohol
3) Clean the parts with plastic prep
4) Use an adhesion promoter
5) Paint
6) Let it dry as long as you can- in the sun is even better

I used the 99 cent walmart paint on mine, in black, and it looked perfect. Mine sat in the Texas summer sun for 5 days before I put it back together. My friend even decided to be a putz and threw a turtle in it. Scratching and clawing it still didn't scratch. Just make sure to take your time.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:09 AM
nater_660

Scott with # 3 and 4 would i need the adhesion and the plastic prep if using the plastic krylon paint?? Also what is a good adhesion promoter anyways? and what is the plastic prep that you refer to? thanks for all of ur guys help so far, i think i might paint the main parts black and then paint the trim pieces silver.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Scott91370
Professional

Nater,
I would think the plastic paint would be enough but I have never used it.
Plastic Prep:
http://www.levineautoparts.com/semplasticprep.html

Andadhesion promoter:
http://www.levineautoparts.com/buladprom.html

I don't know if these arethe brands I used, I did mine about 15 years ago.

hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Help-Interior Questions???