2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen wheels on 3rd gen (squishy_1010 please help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
kitchenrat1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen wheels on 3rd gen (squishy_1010 please help)

So, I've seen some 2nd gen rams with 3rd gen wheels. As far as everone I've talked to or has posted on this topic they should just bolt right up. Not so my friends. First I had to get a bigger lug nut with a wider longer taper to fit my 1/2" x 20 studs. Then I go to put them on and the rears bolted up just fine. Now the fronts on the other hand are going to be a problem. The center hub on the rotor is bigger than the hub on the rim. So I cannot fit the rim flush to the rotor to mount it. Also the center dust cap sticks out past the center cap on the rim. My 2wd Ram 1500 is a 95. Is there a difference in the rotors from the newer ones, say a 96, 97 or 98. Is it possible to swap out the rotors so I can get the wheels on?[align=center] [/align]

Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
kitchenrat1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd gen wheels on 3rd gen (squishy_1010 please help)

So after some more internet research it appears that the 2wd front brake/axle setup is different on a 2000 or a 2001 than it is on a 95 like mine. That is why I can't get these rims to fit and other 2nd gen'ers can. What would it take to make these fit? Could I swap out the axles and rotors? Machine out the center hubs on the rims? I've already purchased these 20" 3rd gen rims and now I just want to exhaust all ideas of using them before I turn around and have to sell them. I got them for $600 with tires (not a bad deal) and I really like the way they look, but if I have to buy an aftermarket rim I will.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen wheels on 3rd gen (squishy_1010 please help)