2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield wiper problem

So after i finish installing my new hood and intake system, i reconnect my bat. and everything seems ok. Until one day it decides to rain, well i put on my wipers to delayed...a few seconds later nothing happens no wiping. On all of the delayed wiping settings nothing happens, but as soon as i turn them to LOW or HIGH they wip care free. Could a switch been damaged some how, or just decide to fail. IF so wouldnt the HIGH and LOW settings also not work. Any Ideas? Thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: windshield wiper problem

It could be the multifunction switch, the central timer module or wiring. Heres one thing to try. Un-hook BOTH battery cables, wait 5 minutes, then touch both batery cable ends together(make sure that they ARE NOT hooked to the battery. This will reset the modules on the truck. The truck will run like crap for a few minutes after this until the PCM relearns its parameters. I have seen this trick work many times for a module that is not working...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Thanks, ill try this as soon as i can. Will post if it works or not for future guys. Sounds very interesting though.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Nosaj

I don't think this will work in your case, but I know of something else that will cause the same exact problem.... I was trying to make my buzzer turn off while playing my stereo with the door open. After nosing around for a little bit, I found the buzzer (under the steering column almosttothe very bottom and right behind the removable panel). I unplugged it and the buzzing quit... great! Begins to rain some days later and I only have Hi and LOW wipers... uh oh. plug the buzzer back in and everything works great.

Check that your plug is secure, even if the buzzer works, it might not be in there all the way and cause the wipers to not work right. Like I said, doesn;t sound like your problem since you werent under the dash, but it is something else to eliminate.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

some basics.. wiper motor has 2 circuits, with 2 separate power feeds - high speed and low speed. there is also a park circuit 12 volt, but thats not important right now. the multifunction switch provides continuity to either the high, the low, or sets a resistance level to the ctm for intermittent. if the wiper motor runs on high, and low, then there is nothing wrong with the motor. if intermittent doesn't work at all, it could be switch, wiring, ctm, or fuse to ctm. i've heard of wires in the column breaking around the tilt point. there is a removal/test procedure in haynes and service manual for testing the switch, but you have to remove it. its not expensive, i replaced mine with autozone part for around $45. once removed, why put old one back on..

Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Thanks guys ill keep these suggestions in mind when i try to fix it tonight, if nothing else ill give it to a shop and say FIX IT!..if i cant figure it out. Not that having no delayed wipers is a real problem, i have rain x stuff on my windshield so rain just slides off anyway, i dont even really use my wipers but its a lil annoying not having them

Quick Reply: windshield wiper problem