2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
levikx184
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY mods

Ok, I'm a noob here so please don't get mad if this is an old post.I was wondering what are some good modifications you can do to a 5.9 to get more horsepower out of it. I have a '98 ram with the 5.9L in it and was wondering what could I do to get more horsepower out of the engine (all thison a budget). I'm looking at air intakes but was wondering what all you could do to the engine without buying any mods. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: DIY mods

Most of the mods for horsepower are going to cost you some money. Now that being said, do a search here in the forum on the "Death Flash" and read about it. It is probable that your truck has been reflashed with this at the dealership. If so, continue searching here for info on the Crankshaft Positio nSensor (CPS) mod. This mod only takes time and a good file and can reset your timing back to where it was before the flash was installed.

The best source of power is always keeping the engine tuned and then improving both the intake and exhaust in conjunction with each other. If you put a cold air intake on, then your next improvement should be in the exhaust.

Also, DO NOT purchase the so called "Throttle Body Spacer" for your truck. It absolutely has no effect on our vehicles. I take that back, your truck may go faster because your wallet is lighter and that's it. Do another search here in the forum to read all about them.

BTW, welcome to the forum. The search function on top is a great tool and can provide many solutions to issues as you encounter them. As always if you encounter something and cannot find the info, feel free to place a post. Always somebody around to help.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do make any noticeable change in horsepower without spending money. I am assuming you just got the truck?

Good search terms:
plenum
death flash
cam
intake manifold
fastman
headers
exhaust
pcm
sct
gears
stroker
boost

Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Most of the mods for horsepower are going to cost you some money. Now that being said, do a search here in the forum on the "Death Flash" and read about it. It is probable that your truck has been reflashed with this at the dealership. If so, continue searching here for info on the Crankshaft Positio nSensor (CPS) mod. This mod only takes time and a good file and can reset your timing back to where it was before the flash was installed.

The best source of power is always keeping the engine tuned and then improving both the intake and exhaust in conjunction with each other. If you put a cold air intake on, then your next improvement should be in the exhaust.

Also, DO NOT purchase the so called "Throttle Body Spacer" for your truck. It absolutely has no effect on our vehicles. I take that back, your truck may go faster because your wallet is lighter and that's it. Do another search here in the forum to read all about them.

BTW, welcome to the forum. The search function on top is a great tool and can provide many solutions to issues as you encounter them. As always if you encounter something and cannot find the info, feel free to place a post. Always somebody around to help.
Sorry to step on you there turkeyhunter, got a call in the middle of typing.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

No prob Mopowar. I agree that most mods are gonna cost you some money. It's the same with all engines/vehicles.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Mudbone25
Professional

Sorry to be a little off topic but i thought the death flash wasnt used untill 2000.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
levikx184

Thanks guys! I know some money is going to be needed with the mods. I was just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks for the replies though...

Quick Reply: DIY mods