2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FROM GMC TO DODGE

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: FROM GMC TO DODGE

Not very expensive if you do it yourself.

Mostly labor if you get it done somewhere, so it can get a little expensive. I think I read someone saying it cost them around $400 to get a shop to do it, but don't quote me on that.

I'm going to install my Fastman TB this weekend (finally got it in the mail) and pray that I don't have to do it myself... I got 13MPG on the last fill up now that the temps have warmed up, and the pickup has plenty of get-up-and-go, so I don't think I'll have to. Or who knows, maybe a previous owner has already had it done for me.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ALSAMP

if the plenum is leaking how much is that repair?
If I had to guess, parts are about $150 or so, and labor at a garage would be under 6-7hours of work.

I think everyone here has done the job themselves... i am hoping to never experience it.

Edit: Typo

Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM
ALSAMP
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not exactly sure how to tell if theres a leak is it external? any idea how much a tranny rebuild is? Im starting to reconsider this purchase.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

Im not exactly sure how to tell if theres a leak is it external? any idea how much a tranny rebuild is? Im starting to reconsider this purchase.
hate to scare you from getting a dodge. i just got my 98 about 5 months ago or so.
I got screwed big time, by the seller and the local garage. I learned my lesson and will do the work myself.
I had to put front bearings, half shaft, catalytic converter, and have my transmission rebuilt.
Transmission was $2800 or so, I had both coolers go on me.
Bearings was $800 (garage labor killed me)
catalytic converter... $850.

After the fact, I could have done the converter myself... the parts were about $180 or 200

my truck had 104K when I got it.

Now that I have put all this $$ in to it, its not bad. The stock brakes require a bit more pressure than what i think they should need. so this summer i am going to redo the brakes front and back. I also live in New England and the salt is really rotting the hell out of the doors. thats another summer project.

Maybe I am not the best spokes person for the Ram.

Each person will have a different experience, but I know for sure, everyone will be getting a tranny rebuild or replacement.

Edit:
Plenum: you will have to take the air box off the intake, and open the butterfly wide open and shinea flashlight down the intake. if you see sticky looking grime, thats normal, but if you see oil, wet oil, pooling oil, then its due to be replace. Also pinging, and knocking and big oil consumption are other signs.

if its a private sale, i would move on, there isnt any warranty type protection for you. if you are going to go for it, have a GOOD Dodge machanic look at it top to bottom. That $200 inspection or whatever they charge you is worth it.

best of luck with what ever you choose...

OH, forgot about the trac-bar issue. causes sloppy steering. the bar replacent is $150 at napa (lifetime warranty), causes shimmy or a death wobble, and wandering.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 PM
ALSAMP
Amateur

none of this sounds good i think i really have to reconsider, i might just have to lose my 100 dollar deposit it sounds cheaper in the long run.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your probably looking at the same kinda $ for similar repairs on a Ford or GM too.
Every vehicle has it's common problems.
GM fuel injectors are common $1000
Ford head problems are common $1800

Pick your poison

Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

If the truck seems solid, tranny shifts good, and there are no other noticable flaws, it should be a great truck for you. Any vehicle is going to have problems.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
ALSAMP
Amateur

it seamed fine when i drove it and itts inspected till 10/08 is the plenum leak very common?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sort of depends on what you're doing. If you're gonna be hauling 4,000lbs around a few times a year then a 1500 with a 5.9be fine for you.

If you'regonna be hauling around7,000 lbs worth of stuffregularlyI'd strongly suggest looking into a2500 with a v10. The 5.9 will do it, but it still has the 46re transmission (where as youcan get a v10 with a 47re or an NV4500 manual trans.)and your gas mileage when towing will be better with the v10 vs the v8.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it seamed fine when i drove it and itts inspected till 10/08 is the plenum leak very common?
Fairly.

You can check to see if it's blown. All you have to do is take the airbox off (there's only a hose clamp holding it on) and get yourself one of those little dentist mirrors (the run about 5 bucks at an autoparts store) and shove it down your throttlebody and shine a flash light around. Or if you don't want to buy your mirror you can pop the throttle body off (only like 3 bolts holding it on). You want to look for oil pooling up inside the intake manifold.If there's oil pooling it in it then the gasket is blown.

Quick Reply: FROM GMC TO DODGE