2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

adding remote door locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 AM
62Rampsidekid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding remote door locks

I have a 99 2wd 2500 slt. It has power door locks but not remote controled. What would it take to add remote door locks? I thought I would stick with the stock unit but would it be easier to got with an aftermarket unit with an alarm?

I also have the stock overhead console(no computer). Would would be involved in adding the console with the temp sensor, compass, etc..

I just had back surgery and for the next 6 months to a year will not be able to ride my Motorcycle so it is time to start upgrading and customizing the truck since I will be using it as a daily driver! Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: adding remote door locks

I was in a similar situation as you... I wanted remote door locks - but unfortunatley there wasn't an easy way to add the OEM solution. So I went with an alarm that hadthat capability. I used the schematics from the FSM to determine which wires I needed to hook in to, and where to find them. It took a good few hours of research and planning before starting - but it made it much easier. The install took another couple hours - but that is only because I wanted to keep the wiring nice and clean. Thinking back on it... I wished I would have spent more and got one with remote start.

I'll see if I can find my diagrams and homework from when I did my install. It should be pretty similar to what you are going to have to do.

If you dig around - you'll find something called the Merry Christmas Thread. I think it is currently a "sticky" under the "Lost posts, look here" message. It's for a 2001 - but it should be pretty close if not identical to your setup.

As far as the overhead console goes... I think it might be more work that it is worth. There have been threads that covered this in the past. What I seem to recall is that you had to find the overhead console with the unit, as well as a wiring haress and some sensors. Doable... but not something I would want to undertake.

Good luck,
Cartman

Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: adding remote door locks

I had the same problem. Power door locks but no remote. I had friends make fun of me because when we took my truck to lunch I had to unlock their door with a key. They really rub it in. After opening the door they look to see if I had window cranks. So I went to Best Buy and picked up a Viper remote start with remote door locks. Freeinstall too. Total $205.00Sweet works like a charm and when cold I warm up the Rammie.

Quick Reply: adding remote door locks