2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Rides Rough after tons of work....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck Rides Rough after tons of work....

If the spring change didn't change things then leave the height the way you prefer.
Is it the front or rear or both that is rough. If it's both than I would look at the shocks or the sport tires which are the same at each end.
Those tires are performance with a stiffer side wall to improve handling. An easy way to check is get someone you know with a similar truck and stock tires and try theirs for a few miles. The shocks could be checked by removing say the front ones and go down the road and see if the stiffness is still there. I would not go far or fast without them.
My other thought is when the rear shackle kit was done, did it also have urothane bushings. They will stiffen things up even if greased. But they help with the handling as do the tires.The grease will help some. Then you also said it was rough before the switch so that is probably contributing but not the main cause.
As far as the sway bar, you could actually remove it orjust loosen the end links and see if it helps.
To adjust the steering box there is an allen screw on the top with a jam nut around it. Hold the allen screw and loosen the jam nut. Turn the allen screw to tighten and hold while tightening the jam nut. Would be careful not to over tighten. If steering doesn't return to center easy than you went to far. Would try a 1/4 turn at a time to be safe. Hard to tell without being the one doing it. Have someone watch the pitman arm(the one coming off the bottom of gearbox) to make sure the play isn't somewhere else first.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Lotusttu84

Thanks Chopper.

Today I replaced the idler arm. it had some play. Very little. I could see a difference but still bouncy. I am going to look at the gear box right now. The part that is loose or has play i guess you could said is the arm coming from the colum to the gear box. I can with the hood open put my had down there and turn it back and forth. You know as well as I do that no one can turn the tires on a truck by had by turning that little *** rod! hahaha. But I also noticed while I had my truck on stands that my driver tie rod end boot is broken/ripped so im going to get a new one tomorrow.

I understand what you are saying about the tires. the size on them is 275/60R17. i have had falcons, bridgestone, and now these Toyo's and I like these the best. its just so frustrating taht I cant get my truck back to the way it was. It slowly got to this pointe. Like it took probley 3 years.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Gene563
Rookie

+1 on checking the pitman arm.
I have about the same amount of play as you described. I was looking to adjust the steering box and discovered the pitman arm shot...the stud to the tie rod to be exact. Jack up one of the front wheels and try to turn it side to side while someone watches the steering linkage for wear. I would make sure that's tight before adjusting the steering gear.

I'll be doing mypitman armand shocks this weekend.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Lotusttu84

I got a new pitman arm on and new idler arm on as of yesterday. The play is between the steiring wheel and the gear box. The pitman is tight and dosnt move during the play. I think the gear box is taking a dump on me....

[IMG]local://upfiles/86884/26DF87EAC84C439F8F0EB1D5A6556C0A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Truck Rides Rough after tons of work....