2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacement hood liner (the heat/noise shield)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement hood liner (the heat/noise shield)

Like many other Ram owners who had this installed at the factory mine is falling apart. I called Napa and autozone and both said that they did not carry it and that only the dealer had those. I contacted the dealer and they said it would be ~$70. I got to wondering though if there is a similar aftermarket product that is better and at around the same price? I intend to replace it either way.

So does anyone know of other suppliers?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Replacement hood liner (the heat/noise shield)

I haven't found a stock replacement from anywhere except the dealer, but there are cheaper dealerships out there, and there are options like thermo-tec shielding that can be used: http://www.thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=16

Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

I haven't found a stock replacement from anywhere except the dealer, but there are cheaper dealerships out there, and there are options like thermo-tec shielding that can be used: http://www.thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=16
It is funny, I just ran across that company. I am having a bit of trouble figuring out which product would be appropriate (I had not even seen the product you linked to which specifically mentions hoods, I was looking at the Thermo-Guard FR). Besides being a bit prict (~$65ish for each 45x45 square) it would probably require a number of squares.

It makes me wonder if any of the auto body/detailing companies might know of something else sold in larger quantities.

Edit: What did you mean by cheaper dealerships?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some dealership parts stores will sell things at different markups,

For instance, Huffines Dodge in Lewisville charged me $1.95 for intake mounting bolts and $0.45 for each plenum pan bolt which I believe was just above cost. The nearest dealership to me wanted 3.80 for each intake mounting bolt and $1.65 for each plenum pan bolt. Robbery! If you live in a large area, you can sometimes play one dealership against another, just make sure they aren't a part of the same ownership group.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Some dealership parts stores will sell things at different markups,

For instance, Huffines Dodge in Lewisville charged me $1.95 for intake mounting bolts and $0.45 for each plenum pan bolt which I believe was just above cost. The nearest dealership to me wanted 3.80 for each intake mounting bolt and $1.65 for each plenum pan bolt. Robbery! If you live in a large area, you can sometimes play one dealership against another, just make sure they aren't a part of the same ownership group.

Thanks for the info, will try that. Unfortunately there are about three, but they are all half an hour away. They want me to drive there to order it, then drive there to pick it up again, grr. Oh well.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck didn't come with one from the factory. Many didn't. If I where you, I would just tear it out and save the money for other mods or gas.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

My truck didn't come with one from the factory. Many didn't. If I where you, I would just tear it out and save the money for other mods or gas.
As I stated, I intend to replace it regardless. I had a 97 that just so happened to have the paint seperate from the hood at the exact spot that is hottest above the engine. It runs a good ~$300 to repaint it and I have no desire to risk that.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you really need it? I have an aftermarket hood on mine and never put the liner back on.Then again I still have primer on it because I havent had the truck painted yet.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
pipeking
Veteran

ya ive seen hood paint go white, then start peeling.it is funny you had brought this up, because i am doing mine.i am in the minths of doing alot of upgrades right now with my truck, i am very busy.
ok so this is what i am doing.i looked at dyna mat,heat shild,and some other comp. and they allareto much $.i dont know if you are familiar with duct work insulation, with the fiberglass and fire ret. backing,that is what i am useing.its nice and cromey(silver)

i took a 10x4 peice cut it to size,then with the side were the ins. is showing, i covered it with the scrap piece i cut off.i pulled the ins. off the scrap,so now both sides are silver with ins. in the middle,and taped up the seems with silver alum. tape. make sure you use as many clips as you can to reinstall, and now it is nice and bright so im going to dress it up with some dodge stickers (i would like a big ram head in the center.)

and thats what im doing.ill post pics when im done.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

ORIGINAL: mr freeze

Do you really need it? I have an aftermarket hood on mine and never put the liner back on.Then again I still have primer on it because I havent had the truck painted yet.

I have dug through every post (this forum and others, Rams and others) I could and came to the following conclusions:

1) There is no authoritative post showing whether they have any effect
2) It is not clear if it exists for noise, heat, or both on Rams
3) TO me, it is worth spending $70 now for what could be useless rather than $300+ later.

Quick Reply: Replacement hood liner (the heat/noise shield)