2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cylinder Head Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
MuddinMafia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Removal

Turns out the two back bolts on my stock exhaust manifolds were snapped in the heads. I can't get a drill in there for an easy out so im going to pull the heads. I haven't removed the heads on a 5.9L before so I was looking for some advice. Is it all pretty straight forward to any other vehicle?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:13 PM
8t5gt
Veteran
Default RE: Cylinder Head Removal

that must be abitch to work on a ride with that much lift:P

anyway yeah there no different.

pull the rockers, pushrods, head bolts and your off the to races. i dont know if you have egr or not but if its got those lines that go into the heads just take em off and what not.

obv drain coolant and oil.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MuddinMafia

Turns out the two back bolts on my stock exhaust manifolds were snapped in the heads. I can't get a drill in there for an easy out so im going to pull the heads. I haven't removed the heads on a 5.9L before so I was looking for some advice. Is it all pretty straight forward to any other vehicle?
Man that sucks.I just got done taking mine off today and luckily none broke off. I soaked them with PB Blaster for the last 4 days so I think that helped a lot. There wasn't one in the rear on the driver's side, so hopefully it just came out or someone else neglected to put it back in. I really don't want to go and install my headers in a couple of days and find out that it was broken off in there. Good luck with getting them out.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
MuddinMafia

Well has anyone done this removal before on the 360? Does anything need to be removed besides intake and exhaust manifold? Do I need to remove alternator bracket, fuel lines, etc..?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

[align=left](1) Disconnect the battery negative cable.[/align][align=left](2) Drain cooling system [/align][align=left](3) Remove the air cleaner resonator and duct work.[/align][align=left](4) Remove the intake manifold-to-generator bracket support rod. Remove the generator.[/align][align=left](5) Remove closed crankcase ventilation system.[/align][align=left](6) Disconnect the evaporation control system.[/align][align=left](7) Perform the Fuel System Pressure Release procedure[/align][align=left](8) Disconnect accelerator linkage and if so equipped, the speed control and transmission kickdown cables.[/align][align=left](9) Remove distributor cap and wires.[/align][align=left](10) Disconnect the coil wires.[/align][align=left](11) Disconnect heat indicator sending unit wire.[/align][align=left](12) Disconnect heater hoses and bypass hose.[/align][align=left](13) Remove cylinder head covers and gaskets[/align][align=left](14) Remove intake manifold and throttle body as an assembly. Discard the flange side gaskets and the front and rear cross-over gaskets.[/align][align=left](15) Remove exhaust manifolds [/align][align=left](16) Remove rocker arm assemblies and push rods. Identify to ensure installation in original locations.[/align][align=left](17) Remove the head bolts from each cylinder head and remove cylinder heads. Discard the cylinder head gasket.[/align](18) Remove spark plugs.

Just something I ran across a while back. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Removal