2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is is possible to strip a lug nut? I think I did

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is is possible to strip a lug nut? I think I did

One lug on the front driver side just spins. It's not as tight as the others. I was having trouble getting the 4 way tire iron on one lug cause the holes are so deep on the 20" wheels I just got. So I had to back the others offa bit to get them all perfectly lined up. Well, one was really tight going on before it was seated. And I put some *** into it. I think I either broke the stud or striped the nut. Maybe the nut housing it just spinning (I hope). But how can I get it off??

Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is is possible to strip a lug nut? I think I did

Did you strip the nut or the stud? Either way it is a simple fix. If it is the nut, tell your wife you must buy 20 new awesome chome nuts. If it is the stud, well, too bad. That will only cost you a few minutes and a couple of bucks.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

This can be a pain.. I've had to rig an old screw driver once ( put a bend in the tip..) so I could get it behind the nut and "pull" some pressure on it as I turned it counter clockwise till it caught a thread..then stripped the crap out of it backing it off.. then tapped out the old bolt and reinstalled a new one.. it its a chromed cap on a lug nut.. you may have to bang the damn cap off.. then attack the nut...usually.. every time its happened to me.. it was the stud stripped...By the way.. I dont use the 4way lug wrenches.. they dont fit into the tight holes in the custom rims.. i usually have deep sockets and a breaker bar...I found some extra long deep sockets at sears... got them for my lugs....the dont screw up the chrome lugs or my rims....Hope this helps

I also know a few guys who..as a last resort.. split the nut with a chisel.. then replaced the bolt as well as a new lug nut...

Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Blaydrnnnr

This can be a pain.. I've had to rig an old screw driver once ( put a bend in the tip..) so I could get it behind the nut and "pull" some pressure on it as I turned it counter clockwise till it caught a thread..then stripped the crap out of it backing it off.. then tapped out the old bolt and reinstalled a new one.. it its a chromed cap on a lug nut.. you may have to bang the damn cap off.. then attack the nut...usually.. every time its happened to me.. it was the stud stripped...By the way.. I dont use the 4way lug wrenches.. they dont fit into the tight holes in the custom rims.. i usually have deep sockets and a breaker bar...I found some extra long deep sockets at sears... got them for my lugs....the dont screw up the chrome lugs or my rims....Hope this helps

I also know a few guys who..as a last resort.. split the nut with a chisel.. then replaced the bolt as well as a new lug nut...
Thanks. Great idea on the deep sockets. The 4 way barely fits and I've already scratched the chome a little. I'll have to drive on it tomorrow and try and fix it Monday. I have no idea which one is stripped. Maybe I can take off the other 4 nuts and pull on the wheel while turning the nut.

Quick Reply: Is is possible to strip a lug nut? I think I did