2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 Sensor position HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Gator op
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor position HELP!!!

I just got a new catalytic converter cause my old one took a crap. The one i had was a one in one out and it had he O2 sensor in the middle of it. The one i reseaved today has no place to put the O2 sensor in. So i was wondering wheres the best position to put the O2 sensor after or before the catalytic converter?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Ridesnowboarda15
Default RE: O2 Sensor position HELP!!!

You should already have an 02 Sensor in your pipe most of the dodges have an 02 sensor before and after the converter. I would just make sure you have a sensor before and after the converter.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Gator op

Well it was changed from a two in one out to a one in one out and it now only hasone O2 sensor right in the middle of it

Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

what year is yopur truck...what motor...I think your going to need one before and after.. I dont think placement will mean much.. but I have been wrong before..LOL When you say right in the middle.. you mean the middle of the cat?? If so.. I think you got the wrong cat..but.. you have options.. get a sim.. fastman sells one that will let you eliminate your "out" sensor.. or.. have the pipe drilled and fitted for your out sensor after the cat...I know people that have drilled and tapped the pipe..the PCM is watching the exhaust gases before and after the cat...if you only have one sensor.. this is something i dont know much about.. maybe one of the techs can give you more on this..

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Gator op

Ya i guess who ever had it before made it work with only one sensor and its a 2001 5.2L andits in the middle of the cat. I saw online on some of the cat replacements where its two in one out hasonly onesensor right in the middle.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that one of those California Emisssions Trucks? My '01 5.2L has one pre and post cat about 1 1/2' apart, it was also single in/single out stock.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Gator op

Nope not a California truck. I guess who ever did the exhuast must have gotten rid of the two sensors and made it work with only one.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 PM
shawnsack
Rookie

dude i don't know but ive never seen one with just one o2 sensor right in the middle of the cat cuz mine has one before and one after also

Old 03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Gator op

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/in...CBXYXJyYW50eSI=

this is kinda what i thought the one sensor is needed for but mine is a one in one out. Either way me and a friend are going to put in the new cat and fix this confusion total coast for the cat and for install $74.22 an amazing deal hahaha, but thanks every one for all the help to fix this issue.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor position HELP!!!