2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harbor Frieght Ball Joint Press

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harbor Frieght Ball Joint Press

Is the Harbor Frieght ball joint press any good? I usually in most cases don't like cheaping out on tools but this is one of those things I don't want to spend $250-450 for something I will use once or twice a year if that. I thought about just renting it but I'd kind of like to own one anyway. I just want something that will actually work and be safe to use.

If I buy it will I need any other things? I want to attempt to do the ball joints on my Chevy Caprice and I've never done ball joints before.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harbor Frieght Ball Joint Press

If you have an autozone by you.... check over there. They often let you borrow tools and you leave some money. Pick it back up when you return it. I mean seriously... you really dont need to have a set in your garage unless you want something to collect dust. W/e floats your boat tho..

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Idk why I really want to buy it. I just figure I have enough cars I will probably eventually do more than one. I have pretty much most tools I can think of and this is one of the few I don't have so I was thinking I minus well add it to my collection if the $30 one is any good. I don't want to pay $250 or $450 for the ones from sears but I wouldn't mind paying what the Harbor Frieght one costs.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Heres what ya do... Flip a coin. Heads I win, Tails you lose. Let me know what happens. Haha, but back to the point... yea lol... nothing no one can really tell ya on here. Its a debate between yourself. Ask yourself, "Do I really want that ball joint set", or do I really want ... uh...a __________ (fill in blank with next mod).

Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 AM
1996Ram318
All Star

I own one, and it works pretty good considering the price. It`s not perfect, but with a 4 foot cheater and some decent upper body strength it will get the job done. Just don`t forget which direction you need to press the ball joints out like I did.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1996Ram318

I own one, and it works pretty good considering the price. It`s not perfect, but with a 4 foot cheater and some decent upper body strength it will get the job done. Just don`t forget which direction you need to press the ball joints out like I did.
4' cheater bar? Holy hell, I just used a ratchet and popped them out.

IMHO, rent it unless you have many cars and you know that you'll be doing the job enough times to warrant purchasing your own. I'd avoid Sears, because you're paying out the a$$ for the name. Sears tools aren't like they were 25 years ago. They are too proud of them.

I rented a press when I did mine and ended up running to my neighbor, who basically has his own machine shop, to make an adapter for the lower cup to do the bottom joint. It seems the "Universal Kit" wasn't so universal.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Well I have just had them done in my Dodge but we have 3 other cars and one of them needs them now. It wouldn't suprise me if one other one needed it in the future and the other one hopefully wont for a while. I'd like to have the tool at the house incase I need it and I've heard of people using them for other things too. I wouldn't mind having something friends can use if they do theres also. Especially for $30. It just seems like for that price no point in trying to rent something.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:02 PM
kroffty
Rookie

I didnt have any luck pressing out ball joints with it. but it works great on U joints.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
1996Ram318
All Star

I might not have needed such a big bar, but we (me and my dad) forgot and tried to press the bottom joint the wrong way. After that it was really in there.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
nater_660

I just used my kit on friday and it worked great, its a cheaper one probably like the harbor frieght one and its done quite a few balljoints and u joints and has taken a beating and is still like new. Even if you did buy an expesive one your still saving yourself money(just think what it would cost to have all those cars done). I definatley think its a tool to have even if you you only do a couple of jobs with it. I guess you could rent one but i just like having tools in my garage kinda makes it more convinent.

Quick Reply: Harbor Frieght Ball Joint Press