2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Gene563
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated

Today I was attempting to replace my pitman arm and front shocks. I thought it would be a simple operation...not!
The pitman arm gave me trouble at both ends, but the tie rod end finally gave up. I still haven't gotten the arm off the steering gear. My Harbor Freight puller broke and the arm hasn't budged.

The shocks were just as bad. The top nuts were rusted and very difficult, but I did get them off...finally. The passenger side lower bolt will not come out. The nut came off easy, but the bolt will not back out even after repeated beatings with a hammer. It must be rusted inside the sleeve in the shock bushing.
The driver side came right out and the new shock is on. Thank God I got something done!

To end the day, I soaked the shock bolt and arm with PB Blaster and will hope better results tomorrow. I need to see if Auto Zone will rent a puller.

Thanks for listening.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:44 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Frustrated

Usually those auto stores do rent a puller. If your Auto Zone doesn't, go to another auto-type store and see if they do.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Frustrated

Impact gun + shocks = easy/ My IR 2135Ti broke them all loose easy of course they had been off a year and a half or so ago. It was a lot easier than by hand. If pb blaster doesn't work heat them up.

Quick Reply: Frustrated