2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end squeak........ Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM
brtnrider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end squeak........ Please Help

My 98 Ram 1500 2wd, Has just started to make a wicked front end squeak which it never has before. When you turn the steering left or right you can hear it also when you bounce on the fender the same noise can be heard. Its driving me crazy as i cant seem to pinpoint where its coming from.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
bigmanram
Amateur
Default RE: Front end squeak........ Please Help

i got the same problem on my truck i was gonna post it , but you beat me to it! Is there a rubber spring isolator on the top or bottom of the coil spring that could have rotted and possibly fallen out ( or sumthing like that). mine only seems to do it when its cold

Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My front end squeaked a while back when I turned the wheels, especially at slow speeds. Turned out to be worn out front U-Joints.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
brtnrider

Seems to do it all the time, Dont know about the coil spring isolators, I know there is none on the bottom but never checked the top. I am going to dig a little deeper today as i am doing the front shocks so hopefully something surface.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

This is really weird. I was just about to post about this with my truck but I saw this before I did. Mine is doing the exact same thing. I look for that rubber thing and about half of its there on the squeaky side and it's all their on the good side. But my dad said that was just to protect the spring and probably wasnt what as making the squeak. I checked it out on the autozone.com trouble shooting thing and it said it was the sway bar or the steering stablizer. But I dont know though. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a very common squeaky point is the bushings on the automatic transmission linkage. its where the up/down rod meets the back/forth rod. there are supposed to be nylon/plastic bushings on the end. it will squeak even when the truck is not moving or running. if you get under the truck while an assistant pushes, you'll see/hear it. grease the ends once or twice a year to silence.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

A friend of mine told me it was my ball joints. Think that could be it?

Quick Reply: Front end squeak........ Please Help