2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
phlash_riot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Intake

I am looking for a good aftermarket intake to fit on a 5.9 hopefully made of a composite material but I doubt that is going to be avalible. But in any case looking for something with a better flow and a better look to it. anything out there along those lines. I found the M1 but have not done alot of study intoit; but not sure that i want that one right now.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: Aftermarket Intake

Continue searching through all of the posts here on the forum and you'll find that you have about 3 options and only 3 options for intake manifolds.

[ol][*]Stock barrel manifold - Either in stock configuration or manually modified by cutting and smoothing the runners and replacing the plenum with either a Hughes or APS billet aluminum one. I painted mine with aluminum paint, but some have went to the expense of color powdercoating theirs.[*]M1 intake[*]I believeHughes manufactures a manifold, but according to others it is no better than the M1 and a lot more expensive.[/ol]
The main power difference between the stock barrel intake and the M1 or Hughes is where your power develops in the RPM range. The barrel has lower RPM torque numbers while the M1 or Hughes have higher Horsepower but at a pretty high RPM > 2500 / 3000 RPM. Unless you're drag racing your truck, the stock barrel intake is your best option.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Not to get anyones hopes up, but just a little fyi, this summer I might fab a sheet metal intakethats less agressive than the m1, but moreso than the stock manifold. If it goes well Id consider making more.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

It sounds to me like you have entirely too much free time on your hands. If you're in my neighborhood why don't you stop by and help me swap out my 3.55 gears for 4.10's? Heck, I might even spring for us to take a little fishing trip up to this great walley lake I know of.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:58 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Some days I have way too much time, others there arent enough hours in a day and not enough days in a week. Its crunch time for the semester so not much gets done arround now, just a lot of typing. Summer I definately have too much time on my hands.

This summer my buddy and I are also building a toy...
Name:  trebuchet_sized.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  57.7 KB
You be the judge if I have too much time.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Oh I wonder how far you can throw a chevy with that!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
my1500.net
Rookie

Not very far---- they tend to crumble at launch from the force.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 AM
phlash_riot

Well it looks to me that i will keep the stocker. probably going to find a stocker for sale cheap some where in used condition and clean it up and most likely powder coat it red. i take it that you can basically do a port and polish job on these to increase airflow. probably just do a home polish job with a dremel on it myself and get the alluminum plennum doodad. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intake