2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help... truck has a miss, but I've tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help... truck has a miss, but I've tried everything

Alright if you haven't read my other threads here it goes

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the same powertrain as are trucks
5.2 v8 and auto tranny to np231 transfer case

2 weeks ago I put in a new tranny, but accidentally broke the CPS when doing so.

When I went to start the truck, it would not start. Checked the codes and changed the CPS

The truck started but idled horribly. So I changed the plugs, thinking it fouled out a plug, due to the CPS going bad.

This made the truck idle good, but now it acts like it has a rev limiter. It won't rev up past like 2500, it just starts cutting out and backfiring.

So I cleaned the injectors, and put a new fuel filter in it(this truck has an external filter unlike our rams)

The truck still runs horrible, the injectors were dirty, but it was not the problem.

So I removed the plugs and wires now, I'm going to do a tune up, I don't think this is the problem, but it wouldn't hurt anyway.

I need help guys, what happened when I parked this truck 2 months ago to service the tranny, It ran perfect then.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: help... truck has a miss, but I've tried everything

Sounds like a bad CPS. Yes, even if it is new, they are known to be defective. I would take it back, stick a different one in and see if that is your problem.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
mstephen89
Captain

no last time it through up a code, and did not start. This seems more like a fuel issue to me, but if all else fails I will try that. I would do that now but unlike our rams, it is a pain to get to. EGR, Manifold Heat Shield, Plug Wires, and many other things need to be removed. And after all that you still have to cram your arm behind the motor(it took me 4 hours last time to change it)

Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Wow, lol. But I really think that is your problem. If it didnt have this problem before, and the only thing you changed was the CPS, that tells me its a bad CPS. JMHO.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Like I mentioned in the other thread, have you checked the wiring for the camshaft position sensor? It easily could have gotten crimped between the engine and tranny when you installed the tranny. You're other post never mentioned that you checked that sensors wiring out.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
mstephen89
Captain

no... I checked the wiring that goes to the distributor. Well, I am stumped I think I have litterally tried everything, it is probably some little friggin sensor somewhere.

I got a cap, rotor, wires, new spark plugs(again), and a new CPS(again). Lets see if that fixes it.
I will let you know in a couple hours when I get it all changed.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:42 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully that will fix it for you.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:53 AM
mstephen89
Captain

alright here it goes, I changed the CPS and did a tune up. And I think it might have gotten worse. But definately no better thats for sure. I double checked all the wires. They are all right.

Hey, how much gas do you think I should buy to catch this thing on fire?

Please guys, tell me anything I'm missing

Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
mstephen89
Captain

alright, got all that stuff put on the truck, and its still acting up. I tested the map sensor also and it is fine. Does anyone have any other ideas, this is really starting to make me mad.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible maybe you dented or dinged the tone wheel on the flex plate when installing the trans? I've seen it happen and the symptoms are the same as you described.

Easiest way (still a pain) is to remove the starter and slowly rotate the engine while you carefully inspect the tone wheel. if it is dented the crank sensor may miss on or more pulses and confuse the PCM. You don't always get a code when this happens.

You might also be able to see this with a lab scope if you know someone who has one.

Quick Reply: help... truck has a miss, but I've tried everything