2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
fastdak08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck

I just bought a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, reg cab, long bed, 4X4 w/the 5.9. It has 120k on it and I only paid 3100 but....

The rear dif is shot. I have been told by a shop it will cost $850 to replace the ring and pinion. I was wondering if there is a cheaper way to go? I was also told by quite a few people that a rear end is a hard job, not sometihng i want to do without help of a professional. I'm on an Air Force base so I have access to an awesome shop and lift, tool, etc. Any help si appreciated.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: New Truck

I have blown out two rear ends.. I attempted the fix the first one.. bad was so pissed that it ended up at the dealer.. that was a 1400$ from them. On your base somebody has done gears before.. Cant hurt to try becuase it cant get much worse but dif have some help.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: New Truck

Not sure what base you're on, but definitely get some help. I can do most everything on my truck up to and including rebuilding almost the entire thing. I won't do diff's cause I don't have the experience.

In addition to the ring and pinion gears, you also need an install kit, and while you're at it you might as well replace the axle bearings and seals since you have to pull the axles anyway. If the shop is gonna do all of that plus their labor charge for $850, I'd say you're not too bad off.

New Ring and pinion: Randys ring and pinion - about $200
Install kit: about $125
New axle bearings and seals - about $5 per side ($90)
New rear axle lube - couple quarts $10

So about $425 in parts and $425 in labor. My shop is gonna give me a break at $250 per axle labor cause they like what I've done to my truck.

If you can find someone that can do the work in the equipment shop that you have access to, you could pay them half the labor cost of the other shop, learn how to do it yourself, and still be money ahead.

Quick Reply: New Truck