2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram leaking antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Exit13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram leaking antifreeze

I have searched and searched, but am unable to find an exact problem in the forums that I am having. I recently bought a 96 ram 5.9 with 132k on it it was a collision on the drivers door. It is fixed and on the road, and I am having problems losing antifreeze. I must have dumped 4 gallons in in the past week. It seems when the motor heats up and I rev the engine, the antifreeze pushes back out the overflow bottle. If it sits idle, it doesn't seem to leak. I might get 3 days of driving before the system is completely drained. When I got the truck the overflow botle was completely empty and a small layer of ice at the bottom. I am pretty sure all the water is out of the system as of how much anti freeze I dumped in and leaked back out. Any ideas on what could be causing this back pressure to push the antifreeze back out?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 96 Ram leaking antifreeze

ok you could have air in they system still and how cold is it there, if it is below freezing you could have some ice in a line which is causing problems,

Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Exit13

it was well below freezing up until sunday was in upper 40's during the day and then again monday colder today but not freezing still. even running the truck for over an hour straight wouldn't melt any ice in the lines?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

around freezing or above, combined with running the truck some should melt any ice. if coolant is leaving the radiator and going into overflow tank, then you either have a very weak/leaky radiator cap, or extreme high pressure building up inside the cooling system. i'd try replacing radiator cap first, if that doesn't fix it, i'd try a compression test on the cylinders to check for blown head gasket/cracked head.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
96RamSport
Veteran

My old man had the same problem, he tried to ignore it, ended up costing him a new motor

Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Exit13

No antifreeze in the oil and visa versa. So I doubt the head gasket or a crack in the head. I am going to pull the thermostat and see if it's froze shut. I am also going to do a compression test on the coolant system and the block just to make sure. Just was hoping someone had run into this problem in the past and a simple answer for me.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 PM
firewrench

I had this problem with an A model engine 77 360 ended up being a cracked head, wasnt big enough to put coolant in the pan or even burn it, just pressurizing the cooling system.
That has been a while back, I know there is a test kit you can buy that you pour into the coolant, start the engine and it will turn the antifreeze purple or something like that if there is combustion gasses present.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
wvjefo
Professional

Fire

If you are losing that much fluid you can easily find the leak. You need to fix the leak.

Go to a flat piece of pavement with no stains, start the truck & open the hood.Get on your hands & knees & look underneath. Do you see where the fliuild is falling?

Look there & replace that part. It may only be a hose. $14.

If there is no puddle & you are losing that much fluid. DO NOT START THE TRUCK AGAIN. You have big problems

Jeff

Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
louis

Hello, I'am from Montreal and whant to tell you that I got a 3500 Ram 2006 with Cumming. I just arrive from the dealer beacuse my truck was leaking antefreeze. And did see where it came from. Try several time to find but nothing was clear to find. We just find that on passenger side their is a small ose 3 or 4 inch long near maneflod with 2 water clips !!! The dealer will change it. It leak from their ?

I hope that will help

Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

I agree with previose guys on here.. If you cant see the leak there are major issues.. weather it all coming out the raditor. if you cannot see the coolant in that amount coming out then it is staying in there an beoing burned..check and recheck..

Quick Reply: 96 Ram leaking antifreeze