2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm so tired of fuel check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: I'm so tired of fuel check this out...

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

every year the government buys a massive surplus of corn from the farmers so they dont go bust. They dont need to make it from waste yet. necessity will bring aboutchange. once that surplus doesnt exist and e85production taps intoother corn sales they will start looking into that.
Currently a lot of farmers here in the midwest try to sell all their corn to the whomever for ethanol production. Its actually running a lot of the small, local Farm Co-Ops out here to go bankrupt and die because they can't compete with the prices the government and investors are paying for corn for ethanol production.

Several states put ethanol into gasoline, they don't just use it to make E85. If you drive through South Dakota, you'll usually have at least three gas choices, 87 octane, 89, and 91. 89 octane will always be 10% ethanol, and usually the cheapest because the state/feds/whatever give a tax break to ethanol laced gas. I believe in Minnesota, for another example, every octane of gas has had ethanol put into it.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Shawn86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

Did you get that off FACEBOOK, because there is a group on there that has the same exact theory word for word

Actually I got this off of my myspace, but I'm sure its been floating around for a while so that doesn't surprise me.

I'm still a really interested in thie ethanol solution. It doesn't have to be made out of corn waste. Any vegtable after its been fermented can produce ethanol, or more crudely, alcohol . So we don't need to be dependent solely on corn. We all know that potatoes produce alcohol. My main question is; they said on the program that just a couple of hoses and filters and mybe the fuel tank would need to be switched out to run e-85. But, wouldn't the alcohol in the fuel eventually corode our engines and lubricants and seals and all of that stuff? I don't know if there are any chemists on here but that seems like a major problem!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Shawn86
Professional

[align=center]

FITCH® FUEL CATALYST

document.write(flashstring);

[/align]

Fuel treated with the Fitch Fuel Catalyst delivers a myriad of benefits:

Improved Fuel Economy (1 - 2.5 mpg)

Increased Octane or Cetane

Improved Performance - Horsepower & Torque

Allows for the use of a Lower Octane (engines requiring 93 can operate on 91, those requiring 91 can operate on 89, & so on)

Reduced Emissions

Reduced number of annual oil changes

Reduced Maintenance (cleaner injectors, carbs, plugs)

The Fitch Fuel Catalyst, a permanent fuel treatment device that reformulates fuel, resuscitates partially oxidized fuel, and suppresses growth of bacteria in fuel. This product insures that all fuel delivered to a combustion engine is in its optimal condition allowing an engine to extract the maximum amount of energy with minimal emissions per kg of fuel.

What does that mean to the consumer? If a consumer could purchase fuel directly from the refinery immediately after the "refinery" process, when the fuel is the freshest and most energy producing, yet pay gas station prices, wouldn't they buy it? Absolutely!!! Once fuel has been refined, it sits in a holding tank, it's pumped into transport vehicles, it's shipped worldwide, it sits in the holding tank at a gas station, and then the consumer purchases it. That fuel refined as 93 octane, for example, has substantially lost it potency, freshness and has begun to degrade back to its original crude oil state. If a consumer was able to compare refinery fresh gasoline or diesel to gas station grade gasoline or diesel, guaranteed, the refinery grade will achieve much better fuel economy and performance. This is what the Fitch Fuel Catalyst offers - a better quality of fuel that translates into better engine performance.

The Fitch® Fuel Catalyst is a maintenance free device warranted for 250,000 miles. It can be easily installed in the fuel line much like a fuel filter, or directly into the fuel tank. The correct size unit is determined by the displacement of the engine or the size of the fuel tank.

Has anybody heard of this, good or bad? I heard about it on trucks one morning and about six months ago and the price has jumped about 50 bux! Maybe it actually works for a short term solution.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:43 PM
rankhornjp

ORIGINAL: Shawn86

I got this in an e-mail just now. With the gas prices out here at $3.75 a gallon, and a 26 gallon tank, I'm just under $100 to fill. And It lasts me maybe a week. I'm so over it. Thats an average annual fuel cost of $4800, what happened to the $1446 my build sheet claims. That means gas prices have gone from around 1.15 to 3.75 in seven years, ahhhh!

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU

HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired
of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer,
take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!It's worth your consideration.Join the resistance!!!!I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer, and it might go higher!!

Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action.The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt'
ourselves by refusing to buy gas. it was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.19 for regular unleaded in my town.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us
to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we
can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.& nbsp; But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY
gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and
MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at east ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION
consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends
each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.

That's all!

If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am so trust me on this one.How long would all that take? If each of us send s this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days !!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!

Keep it going!!!
Actually, this wont work. Exxon will not lose their profits, they will just sell their gas/oil to other companies that can't keep up with the demand on their own, the companies you will be buying from. The only way to lower the price of fuel is to quit buying it, period.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
mstephen89
Captain

Have people noticed, that ever since cars began to get better gas milage that prices at the pumps have gone up, back when cars got 8mpg, gas was under a dollar, but now that japs make 40mpg gas is over 3 dollars, hum coincidence? you decide. prices will continue to go up until we decide to drill oil of our own. No one lives in anwar, no one lives in the Guld of Mexico, vote people in washington that want to drill, or quit complaning

Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
lizardhunt

Jason W...I have to agree that regulation in the past was not the way to go. However we need to look at the following, when you reference WWII era regulation.
1. Household incomes compared to expenses in the 40s vs. now.
2. Wartime scenario is a wash...WWII vs. OIF/OEF.
3. Business incomes...I have to claim ignorance but I am pretty sure that there was not an industry on the planet in the 40s pulling PROFITS in the 100s of billions of dollars. There is probably only one or two other entities in the presentthat make that kind of money and I think I can safely say that they do not force impact onall other industry, business, and households as fuel/oil currently does.
4. As I stated in line "3....force impact", yes you are right we want business to "compete", but who are they competing with? There is no competing within the oil industry unless you consider competition as to who can pull the highest ????? billions of dollars profit by raping the American industries, businesses, and people. I have to use raping because gouging isn't even close to what they are doing.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
2 Marks
Professional

Here are a few comments from this thread:

1. Gas has increased in price because the insergents in Iraq continue to sabbotage the pipelines and refineries. Iraq's oil product is significantly lower now than it was before Saddam was over thrown.

2. A significant portion of the cost per gallon is government tax. You would be surprised how much we pay per gallon. Remember, these taxes are percentages, so when the price of gas increases, so does the amount of tax.

3. Diesel fuel is increasing due tostuff identified on this thread, #1 & 2 above AND because the government has forced additional refining to get ride of the sulfer/bas stuff.

4. E-85... well it is real but most parts of the country do not have refineries to manufacture the stuff. It costs more to make it elsewhere and then ship 1,000's of miles. The issue with E-85 is that is doesn't get the same gas milage as E-10 (normal gasoline) so it must be priced right/lower or no one will buy it. Some body asked the questions about many current vehicles not being able to run on the stuff. Well the is correct and not correct. Non E-85 cars will run on it, that is until parts within the gas tank and fuel system are desolved. Some manufacturers are making flex fuel cars now - but all must do it before E-85 will have a real chance. E-85 will take food out of the global market and will likely increase the cost of everything made with corn.

5. I think Iceland is onto something. They are fixed to be free of middle eastern oil but 2015 or so. They are building hydrogen cars. The by-product of this fuel is water, not smog. Fueling stations actualy make the hydrogen gas on-site by gathering the molecules from the air. I hear a tank of hydrogen gets the vehicle about 150 miles.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
lizardhunt

I watched a deal on the hydrogen ran car...pretty cool stuff.

Also watched one on flex fuel vehicles...statement was made that the equivelant of 1 gallon of fossil fuel is used to make 1.35 gallons of ethanol. If this is true or not I don't know...not much of a savings every three gallons of fossil fuel would result in 4 gallons of ethanol.

anyways enough of my soap box...just would like to stop dropping close to $100 per week. This weeks tank was $99...I'm going to make triple digits yet!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: lizardhunt

Jason W...I have to agree that regulation in the past was not the way to go. However we need to look at the following, when you reference WWII era regulation.
1. Household incomes compared to expenses in the 40s vs. now.
I agree they were obviously different than they are now, but both have gone up. The actual ratio I have no idea.

2. Wartime scenario is a wash...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Iraq to WWII or anything silly like that. But I am comparing short-term solutions to long-term realistic ones. Even during peace-time, regulation will work for a short while. Then it will backfire and hurt everyone.

3. Business incomes...I have to claim ignorance but I am pretty sure that there was not an industry on the planet in the 40s pulling PROFITS in the 100s of billions of dollars. There is probably only one or two other entities in the presentthat make that kind of money and I think I can safely say that they do not force impact onall other industry, business, and households as fuel/oil currently does.
True, but you also have to take into effect the value of the dollar compared to back then. The only reason fuel/oil effects such much of the economy is because we let it. As Americans, we drive the must cars in the world. Do you need that huge SUV/pickup/whatever for your wife and yourself, especially when you have no kids? No, but hey it looks nice. Oh, the cost of gas is so high! WAAAAAAAH! (Seriously?)

Thats why you don't hear me complaining about the cost of gas so much. I don't need a Dodge Ram 1500 with the big V8, but I bought it because I'm willing to pay the price; I like pickups with V8s.

Another thing to think about though too... when the Middle East and or Venezuela runs dry of oil, who do you think the world will run to? Russia, the United States, and Canada. Dear God, the image of people begging Canada for anything gives me chills...

4. As I stated in line "3....force impact", yes you are right we want business to "compete", but who are they competing with? There is no competing within the oil industry unless you consider competition as to who can pull the highest ????? billions of dollars profit by raping the American industries, businesses, and people. I have to use raping because gouging isn't even close to what they are doing.
Who is really doing the raping though? It all starts with OPEC. I mean, American oil companies will eventually "crash" like any other industry. They will have their highs and lows. But at this rate, especially with China and India on their way like they are, OPEC won't probably crash until they run dry.

I only have one word about hydrogen fueled cars... Hindenburg.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 AM
wvjefo
Professional

The only real solution is a Manhattan type project to get the battery tech up to 350 miles on a charge and a 10 min refill. Hydrogen is cool but remember the Hindenburg? Hydrogen is flammable as hell. Makes Gas look like water. We a just two steps away from that battery and the type of project that built the atom bomb in WW II would do it for batteries. BUT OH DAMN where will we get the electricy to power our cars???? Even hydrogen takes eletricity to break it out of water. Yes they use eletricity to get hydrogen. Oh and you need to build the pipelines to get the hydrogen to your "Gas" station.

Some of the electric companies are setting up solar panels on the roof of their customers. You pay the eletric company the same bill but it pays for the panel on your roof. BUT DAMN your at work during the day so It will not charge your car while your are doing 9 to 5. But it is a good idea.

OF course we are talking a long term solution. It will not happen tomorrow.By then we will be paying 6 to 8 dollars a gallon.THe Chevy Volt is cool how long before someone starts to mod them??

So This is how we get the electricity to power our cars. Nucleur.

Jeff
Just venting

Quick Reply: I'm so tired of fuel check this out...