2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which is the drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:54 PM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which is the drain plug?

K,

I bought a PDF Manual online, and also dlded the PDF maanual from this site, however,, Im kinda inbetween PC's at the moment, and this POS Linux box is too antiquated for my needs,, crapy PC, so the PDF files dont stay open and crash allot.. time to build me a new PC.. but car comes first. I have the RTV Sealent already as well. I Know the water pump isnt easy, but I knew that going in, and I figured it would be a good way to jolt me into learning ;-) Ill proly buy the hard copy manual too

-tim

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
timsalas
Veteran

YAY, he's all drained. lol,

thanks for your help :-) I'm sure Ill have more questions as this little project progresses heh

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Gene563
Rookie

ORIGINAL: mstephen89

i'd pull the radiator hose, but if you have any dogs or cats, loosening the drain plug will take longer to drain, but will be easier to catch in a bucket. As for replacing the water pump good luck. I hate doin those. While you have it being taken apart, I would replace that little overflow hose on top of the water pump. That thing is such a pain to get to so everytime I remove stuff and I can get to it I go ahead and change it. Its only a few dollars, and it will save you a headache later when it blows out, and you can't figure out why the truck is running hot.

Good Luck
I agree.
I didn't replace the upper and bypass hoses when I did my WP because I couldn'taccess them. I replaced them and the thermostat at a later date.
I now wish I had removedthe accessories at the time I did the pump. The extra time it took would have made the WP replacement easier as well as complete access to all the hoses.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 PM
jagxtype
Professional

to get the fan clutch off find a scrap piece of flat steel about 1 in wide X 1/4" or less thick and drill two holes in it and bolt it to the front of the waterpump pulley. (make sure you drill the holes the right amount apart from each other. Use that and a wrench to scissor it apart. That or you could buy/rent a fan clutch removal tool. Its really quite simple to get them off if you just use your head to come up with something logical.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 PM
timsalas
Veteran

I finally got that sum B**H off!,, i wasted my money on the stupid fan clutch tools that didnt work I bought it like 3 weeks ago lol its too skinny not enough area grip so it was strippin the bolt., ended up getting a ginormous monkey wrench(10 bux at the local cheap tools place) and a 4 dollar POS wrench jabbed behind the pully.. soo basically i have a crappy fan clutch tool that ill be using as a paperweight.. lol I was sooooo happy it took me 1 minute to take it off with the giant monkey wrench lol..

happy happy joy joy

-tim

Quick Reply: Which is the drain plug?