2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which is the drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the drain plug?

Trying to drain my coolent before removing water pump, which hose do i disconnect to let it flow?

thanks,

-tim

/Total Newbie

Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which is the drain plug?

sorry, but if you can't find it, then maybe you shouldn't be replacing the water pump.
Last I recall, the drain is on the drivers side, or you can just pull the lower hose, but thats gonna make a mess.

have fun removing the fan.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
timsalas
Veteran

Heh, I figured someone would say somethihg like this .. I dont have anything to loose by replacing it my self, Im sorry but Im doing this my self, partly because i want to learn, and the only way Im gonna learn is to get down and dirty and do it my self. how else am I supposed to learn if not by asking questions?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
timsalas
Veteran

oh yeah that fun clutch is glued on there,, lol, ive tried everything and have the right tools for it, so its coming off with the fan clutch still on. If i cant take it off Ill buy a new one. heh.. everything else is already off,, just need to drain and take off the pump :-)

Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

hey man dont sweat those comments i get them all the time or no reply at all. Gl with the water pump i just got done doing mine heh and I just pulled the lower rad hose, but the plug is a little plastic wing nut on the driverside bottom of the rad just unscrews itll still make a mess either way. as for the fan clutch I had a helper hold the belt tight while i had a modded plummer wrench on the bolt and then took another wrench and would hit it hard!

PS MAKED SURE AND REMOVE THE OIL DIPSTICK AS I BROKE IT WHEN I WAS WACKING AWAY!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM
timsalas
Veteran

Name:  00001.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  32.3 KB

is that the drain plug? if so I feel dumb

Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
timsalas
Veteran

Thanks!
Yeah I undid that already as well :-) the dispstick :-) Im just hopin it doesnt rain rnow, the rain has been delaying my work for the past two weeks, ive been doing piecve by piece, Im taking my time though.. and I think Ill have to get a pipewrench if I were to take of the clutch, I swear its pretty much crazy glued on there lol

Old 04-06-2008, 03:36 PM
mstephen89
Captain

i'd pull the radiator hose, but if you have any dogs or cats, loosening the drain plug will take longer to drain, but will be easier to catch in a bucket. As for replacing the water pump good luck. I hate doin those. While you have it being taken apart, I would replace that little overflow hose on top of the water pump. That thing is such a pain to get to so everytime I remove stuff and I can get to it I go ahead and change it. Its only a few dollars, and it will save you a headache later when it blows out, and you can't figure out why the truck is running hot.

Good Luck

Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spend the $20 or so and get he repair manual.

Also while you are there, replace your upper and lower hoses.

I understand what you mean by learning to do stuff yourself, but a water pump isn't easy at all.

Also you will need some RTV to seal it up.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:42 PM
mstephen89
Captain

good save, always have a tube of Ultra Copper when you work with water pumps, but they arent that hard to install, IF you have the right tools.

Quick Reply: Which is the drain plug?