2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good deal or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:15 PM
01ram1578
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal or not

I found a new radio has anyone used a similar product. The one I have is broken and the nearest retail place is 40 miles away. Here's the Ad. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...PageCatId=3944

Old 04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Default RE: Good deal or not

Looks nice dude. I'd have 2 say it is a good deal in a way. Just remember you get what you pay for. Also the 6x9's would work for the front, and if u have an ext cab, the other set is too big for the rear. Don't forget your adapter plate thing to convert from 1.5 din to din. not to mention a factory harness adapter so you dont have to cut your stock harness. Other than that... i ended up paying 139 to my door for my pioneer with a flip down front just 5 months ago. came with bezel, and harness. Couldn't beat it at all. For a budget system, i'd say go for it... but my stock speakers still work (except for the passenger side ocassionally) I also hear that sony speakers arn't the greatest. Up to you pretty much.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

You will get sound out of it but that is basically it. For that price quality will not be there!

But if all you want is sound then go for it. My new player will be $180 alone...then my speakers are $80+ each pair. But I want quality.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Sonys have good reliability, but thats about it with Sony and car audio.

The other guys are right, it'll work, but you get what you pay for. My speakers were $160 for 6x9s in the front and $100 for the 5.25 inchers in the back. I haven't picked out a stereo yet, kinda like my stock one for now. If I were to get one, I've been eyeing the 1.5 din (no adapter needed) Pioneers.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll have basic sound, but not much power and not much sound quality.
most important - watch your speaker depth and height - you have limits that you must not exceed or you'll hit the window frame or else have to shim it out so much the door panels will bulge.

i'd recommend getting a better system in stages.
if the cd is broken, replace it with what you can afford, then work towards better speakers and adding an amp. i put money in cd, amp, front speakers on a reg cab, and just disconnected the rears.
if you're patient, great deals can be found on ebay.

pics and stuff. https://dodgeforum.com/m_773176/tm.htm

Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Sony SUCKS when it comes to car audio. Stick with Pioneer or Alpine.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Sony SUCKS when it comes to car audio. Stick with Pioneer or Alpine.
Ditto only you forgot to add Eclipse in there. They make some very nice head units. I'm presonally a big fan of both Eclipse and Alpine. I run a higher end Alpine in my truck with a 70watt x4 Alpine amp.

I run a JVC Aresonal in the Honda and I like it quite a bit but I'm not sure if they still make the Aresonal line or not. I haven't heard as good things about them.

Eclipse also makes some nice head units. The only one I've had however I sold the same day I got it for the same price I paid for it and the guy I bought it from told me I could have the Autometer guages out of his car. The other guy didn't need those and knew I wanted them so I ended up getting two Autometers for free. Worked out for me. I however have played with the Eclipse in his truck and like it. He also seems to like it and has had it for a few years. It was a few years old when I got it too.

Another buddy has a newer one in his car he just recently tried to sell as he joined the Marines and needed to pay off some bills. It also seemed pretty nice from the little I saw it in his car. They just seem to make quality H/U's. I'd probably give them and Alpine both a nice looking and see which I liked better.

Ever since the Xplod line Sony stuff is junk. Some of the stuff back before then was okay but after the Xplod line started up they seemed to have turned into junk imo.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be the odd ball here.I have that exact setup in my ram and it sounds great. The speakers fit fine the only thing was I had to drill a couple mounting holes for the rears. 1 thing I don't like about it though is its not setup for an amp.I also have a xplod in my Mustang. Its a different head unit then that one but its awesome

Quick Reply: Good deal or not