2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain install

Ok guys,
Sorry to be starting a new post on something thats been heavily argued before.. but I need help.. so... if anyone wants to answer me in PM so it doesnt get to be another debate.. its cool...I didnt want to impose on anyone individual by PM'ing anyone either without they're willingness to help me out...
I have done chains before.. usually cranking by hand till the marks line up and replaceing the chain and gears....( marking the distributer just in case a few times..) but this time..I am doing mine along with my water pump and bought a set of JP Performance timing set up... they are adjustable in advance and retard as are many sets now....I am looking for help in setting to eitherIF I decide to advance or retard..( I was thinking that with the 1.7 HS rockers...either advancing or retarding might do some good..)
I'm looking for detailed help in setting the gears in...
Basically just how its done.. install the crank @ 4* advanced lets say.... the cam gets installed with the 4* advanced keyway too? then rotate the cam only till the marks line up? Stuff like that.. I'm just having alittle trouble understanding the way to set either in advance or in retard.....I read the PavementSucks on timing chain install.. but its still alittle unclear. Anybody got the time to help me out?? I'd really appreciate it...

Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Timing chain install

i've done a few stock chains, but never an advanced/retarded, although i've done some retarded things... so i'm going to make an educated guess. there is probably only one cam keyway and one cam timing mark. there are probably 3 crank keyways and 3 crank timing marks, and you chose the one you want, and line it up with the cam mark. thats how it looks on PS.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/timingchain.php?p=4

Old 04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
jagxtype
Professional

I have done 4 so far in a 3.9 (exactly the same) and more or less tear it down and take your time and label all of the bolts and accesory brakets for simplified installation. Make sure you have a seal driver for the timing cover crankshaft damper seal. Make sure to have plenty of penetrating oil and for sure some GOOD (keyword haha) RTV since you will more than likely tear your oilpan gasket. A good gasket scraper and lots of rags to stuff in holes where you do not want debri. Wish i had enough time to post a good instructional on the best way but i cant remember without looking at it and currently have no dodge to look at. I am sure someone with the service manual could give you a good start.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
jagxtype
Professional

from what i gather you install the gear as you normally would, but you will have to turn the crank until the timing mark on it is straight up to match the cam sprocket and the sprocket is indexed and you turn it to the advance/retard that you desire.

Quick Reply: Timing chain install