2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brakes not working 2001 Ram Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 AM
sandmaninjc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes not working 2001 Ram Diesel

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad cab Diesel. Since the day I bought it, I noticed it felt like the front brakes were the only thing stopping it. About a year ago, I noticed my front pads were ready for replacement at around 59,000 miles. I replaced the pads and checked the rears as well. I found that they were relatively new (3/16" lining left). The E brake worked so I assumed they were out of adjustment. I adjusted them, but noticed no difference in stopping power.

I am at 70,000 miles now and the front pads are worn out again. The rear linings are at the same wear. What could be causing the back brakes not to work ? Also, I turned the rotors at the first brake change. If they are still in range, should I turn them again, or just replace them. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, sandman

Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
mstephen89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brakes not working 2001 Ram Diesel

bleed the brakes.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brakes not working 2001 Ram Diesel

If the front rotors aren't warped or badly grooved I would just install new pads. You might want to scuff up the rotors a bit with some sand paper to help the new pads break in.

Pull one brake drum and have a buddy slowly press on the brake pedal. If you see the wheel cylinders move the shoes, then they work.

If they don't move possible air in the system or seized wheel cylinders.

I can't remember off hand if the 3/4 or 1 tons have a load proportioning valve for the rear brakes, anyone?

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes not working 2001 Ram Diesel