2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie: What is this worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
keith3b
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: What is this worth?

EDIT: NOW LOOKING AT A DIFFERENT TRUCK - PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR DETAILS, WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE.

Hi All!

My first post - im looking at getting a Ram! I would like your opinions on my purchase. The truck I am considering is a 1998 Ram 2500 with the 8.0 V10 110k miles. It is a Club Cab 4X4 (works), starts good, runs strong, and shifts smooth. It has larger tires, moon lights up top and basic besides that (A/C doesnt work, no CD player).

The bad:
The rear makes a noise between 65-70 MPH, no noise other than that speed range - any ideas on what this is and how much to fix?

The rear has a minor leak where the driveshaft enters the rear, fluid levels are good.

The trans pan has a minor leak, fluid levels are good.

The Engine pan has a minor leak, fluid levels are good.

The front tires have uneven wear and make some noise, plenty of tread.

The outside is all scratched up, small dents all over.

The interior cupholders are missing and the passenger side mirror needs to be replaced.

I am looking for a work truck/woods truck that I could do some towing with (5,000 lbs or so). I am not very concerned with cosmetic, as long as it is strong and reliable. I would like feel confortabledriving 1,000 miles wheneverI want andget there without any problems.

Does anyone have anyopinions on what something like this is worth andwhat the problem could bein the rear?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Ramsrush
Professional
Default RE: Newbie: What is this worth?

Welcome to DF.Around $5500.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Ramsrush
Professional

How much are they asking for it.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

given that a/c doesn't work, possibly 250-1000 repair.
all scratched and dinged up.
cupholders and mirrors. $200.
probably needs tires, track bar, ball joints. $1000-2000.
probably needs rear end bearings/seal and/or wheel bearings. $100-500.

i'd say its worth more like $4000-5000. maybe even less.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for all those leaks and problem already your going to pay prob 5000, and put another 3000 to get evreything fixed , i say its a pos

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
keith3b

Thank you for all the responses- they are asking $4,500 firm. I have offered $3,500 so far.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I'd pay much more than 3,500. Like they said there is a good chance you could dump a lot of money into it trying to fix it.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
ron333
Captain

Also, keep in mind that they will have a hard time selling it with fuel pricing as it is. It has leaks, dings, missing parts, weird moises, worn tires, etc. Even with this truck in mint condition, they would sit on it for a while unless just the right person came along to buy it. How long have they had it for sale? If they just put it up for sale, they probably won't be too eager to lower the price. After it has been for sale for a while, they will change their mind. Do a quick search for trucks in your local Auto Trader Online in your area and you'll see how little some of these trucks are going for. It's not that they aren't worth the money, it's that most people are terrified at the rising fuel prices these days. This is probably one of the reasons they are selling it, if not THE reason they are, although they more than likely won't admit it. What most people don't realize is that after spending $20,000 to $30,000 or more on a new "more fuel efficient" vehicle to "save money", they will likely never recover the costs of buying the new car with the fuel costs they saved.

I am doing research in my spare time to find another way, or at least keep up on what others are doing, to run our engines on HHO gas from water. I know that there are easy ways to make small amounts of it to supplement gasoline at a modest improvement, but I want to run completely on it so I can still have my truck and all the engine mods, but run it cheaper and with virtually no negative impact on the environment. When they come up with a cost effective way to run our existing internal combustion engines on water, then fuel mileage will be much less of a consern because it won't cost much to run. These powerful trucks will go from being feared gas guzzlers in most people's minds to great trucks to have.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
keith3b

Thank you. They have had the truck for a while and told me they will bring it to auction if they do not sell it soon. I know the gas is a HUGE reason they can't sell it, it cost me $40 to drive it to the mechanic and back (80 miles or so round trip). I am hoping they call me back to accept my offer, but haven't heard from them since Sat.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 PM
jason15557

ORIGINAL: keith3b

Thank you. They have had the truck for a while and told me they will bring it to auction if they do not sell it soon. I know the gas is a HUGE reason they can't sell it, it cost me $40 to drive it to the mechanic and back (80 miles or so round trip). I am hoping they call me back to accept my offer, but haven't heard from them since Sat.

it cost you 40$ to drive it 80 miles.... DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK there is somthing wrong with it bigtime

assuming gas is 4$ a gallon in your area 80 miles / 40 $ = 2miles to the dollar *4 =8 miles to the gallon..... a V10 should push at least9 MPG city and11 MPG highway unloaded

*edited to change some number around to be closer to real life

Quick Reply: Newbie: What is this worth?