2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac compressor clutch will not engage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM
jstnumber73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor clutch will not engage

My trucks ac compressor will not engage no matter what setting I set it too. I read somewhere on here that the compressor will not engage if there is not enough refrigerent. So my question is how do I check the level of refrigerent?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ac compressor clutch will not engage

local parts store sells recharge kits and some has a gauge on them , to be safe add only 1 16 oz can and the clutch should kick on 2 cans is the max , use the low side pressure line only and thats on the passanger side.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
jagxtype
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ac compressor clutch will not engage

go rent a 134a manifold set to get the best readings to make sure its done right. With the price of refridgerant, its a good idea to go looking around on your hoses and compressor for oily spots. These will be tell tale signs of where its leaking. Fix the leak and vacuum the system down and recharge again with oil and refridgerant.

Important note: If your refridgerant is leaking, eventually you are going to run out of the required oil. This is the leading cause of failure in systems with small leaks from what i have seen. Might try a recharge kit that has an amount of oil charge for the size of can already in it.

Quick Reply: ac compressor clutch will not engage