2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear bumper rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:32 PM
SilverRam01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bumper rust

I have an 01 Ram Sport with a body color rear bumper. I had been noticing some rust developing under the step pads on the ends of the bumper. Well, I was going to show it the dealer, but then the bumper suffered some "driver inflicted" damage. When I removed the step pads, the bumper was an absolute mess underneath, pitted and everything. That bumper was tossed, and a used one was painted and reinstalled. I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet since I ate the repair bill myself. Anyone else having this rust problem with their painted bumpers? I am afraid to put the pads back on because it appears that they caused the rust I found. Any advice?

Old 03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
nmason
Veteran
Default RE: Rear bumper rust

ive got a 95 ram, the rear pumper also painted. living in southwestern ontario i have to deal with alot of road salt. i had a bubble appear last year on the right side and then the paint popped off. rust. ive got one more this year now. i can also see -plenty of rust forming in the center at the bottom. as for the step pads, i show absolutely no problem there at all. there 2 rams in my town that have the bumpers completely rotted off too. i think its more than normal

also, the rest of the truck is 100% rust free, cept for the front bumper, but thats gotta go anyway

Old 03-02-2005, 05:13 AM
waterbug1999
Rookie

I got rust as well on my rear bumper.. Also, im getting rust on the rocker panels on both sides as well. Once i get some extra cash ill have it repainted.. Living up here in the rust belt sucks.. Glad its a white truck.
Going to get a gallon of some POR (paint over rust) in the summer and paint everything underneath the truck. Frame, driveshaft, rear ends, etc.. to keep them from rusting too bad. That stuff, your suppose to just paint over the rust so no sanding involved. I think it comes in a clear coat and also in black. Plan on keeping this truck so i think it will help in the long run.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:32 AM
kibbiekid

Buy the cheapie bed liner spray , and sprayed the bumper .

Old 03-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Racer Rob
Veteran

My front and rear bumpers are pure rust now.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:21 AM
greenmachine
All Star

Take off the plastic cover and Line X the top for some traction ,and the backside that is where the rust normally starts.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
rebwie

I have a 08 ram quad hemi ........rust on rear bumper ..07...truck was bought brand new dec.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

The only part of my truck that has rust on it is my rear bumper (made of chrome).

I'm going to buy a cheap flat-black bumper and cover it with bed liner before I reinstall it.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: waterbug1999

Going to get a gallon of some POR (paint over rust) in the summer and paint everything underneath the truck. Frame, driveshaft, rear ends, etc.. to keep them from rusting too bad. That stuff, your suppose to just paint over the rust so no sanding involved. I think it comes in a clear coat and also in black. Plan on keeping this truck so i think it will help in the long run.
Painted my frame cab forward with POR15 back in 05 after getting a bit carried away with GUNK. I tried to just apply it on the cleaned off frame. Stripped it all off last fall to redo it cause it was peeling in a couple spots from stone chips, hitting it with tools.

To do it right, clean the frame, degrease it, sand it, degrease again, wash/rinse with clean water, allow it to dry then apply POR15 Metal Ready. Its a zincphosphate wash that will etch the metal and allow the POR15 to adhere to it. Without it, anywhere that wasnt rusted will peel chances are if its hit by a stone or tool. Kickin my *** for not doing it right the first time but live n learn. Finished under the cab and Im currently stripping the frame just ahead of the rear axle to the roll pan. Will be doing the diff/axles also.

Should rename it PITA15, lot more work than I planned on but so many projects end up that way lol.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper rust