2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New RPMs, and overdrive questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New RPMs, and overdrive questions

You're not the only person who thinks your truck lacks power in overdrive. and I can always tell which people have never had a manual transmission before... overdrive isn't for going up hills. It isn't for hauling, it isn't for cruising around town. It's for being on the highway unloaded at higher speed, so people don't cry about how much gas their truck is using. If your truck was a stick shift, you would never be going up a hill in 4th gear. You would be in 3rd gear. And you would be in 3rd gear most of the time cruising around town. Think of 3rd gear as your ultimate cruising gear. and that's where your truck is with the overdrive locked out. Now when you're on the highway going 70mph sure, let it shift into overdrive, no reason not to. But it's insane to think that your truck should be some hill climbing monster in 4th gear. **** when I go offroad I usually leave mine in 2nd so it can't shift into 3rd half way up a hill climb.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah it's making so much more sense. I mean, why is overdrive something that goes on automatic? You would think overdrive would be something that you have to turn on, not off. Instead I gotta look like the weirdo taking my overdrive off and the little light staying on lol. I mean, sometimes I like having overdrive on though. The engine doesn't whine as much, and the rpms are lower, you can be at piece more. I mean, do msot guys here drive around with their overdrive off? And just put it on when they are traveling at a consistent speed with no hills? I just want to make sure I'm not going to be burning my enigne and transmission up always driving around with 2,000+ rpms ya know?

I'm just a little annoyed those guys didn't epxlain to me anything about overdrive. I mean it completely is the reason I was so irritated with the transmission. I didn't get why it lost power, because I didn't know what overdrive was. Again, my other transmission I never dealt with loss of power, so that's why I was suprised when I started feeling how weak it felt in overdrive.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM
ron333
Captain

I don't think it will hurt changing back and forth in and out of OD by using the switch. What I wouldn't do, just to be safe, is switch it on and off while under heavy throttle. As you will notice, as you hit the switch to turn OD off, it will jump rpms higher when you do this, because it drops to and stays in 3rd. When you hit the switch to turn OD back on, your rpms will suddenly increase for a brief moment or two, then drop down as it goes into OD. I don't know what would happen if I was under heavy throttle while switching back and forth, and I don't really want to find out. I always let off of the throttle a little when switching back and forth, that is when I'm actually driving when I switch it, just to be on the safe side. Usually if I'm going to switch OD off, it is because I've hit traffic and I'm already creeping along or at a full stop anyway. As a side note, since I've used my SCT Tuner in the Stage 2 Performance mode, I don't loose enough power in OD to worry about turning it off too much. The tuner has opened up enough power to not feel the negative effects so much when OD kicks in. I altered my tranny cable before getting the tuner to help with the shifting issues, but they seem to be even less noticeable now with using the tuner.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

The TV cable doesn't control when it shifts into OD. The PCM controls that.

What rpm stall does your converter have? That might be half of it there.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

The TV cable doesn't control when it shifts into OD. The PCM controls that.

What rpm stall does your converter have? That might be half of it there.
yes, like I said, the pcm controls overdrive shift point.

likehometheaterman justsuggested, if it went to a lower stall than oem, this could be part of the problem. Haha, you old tranny could have been sliping so bad that it allowed you to rev higher and so the engine was giving that tranny some torque.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

lol either that or one of the guys at the shop needed some 4.56 gears, and knew neon didn't know what he had, so he threw his old 4.10s in there and stole neon's 4.56 gears. Which would explain why the kept the truck for so long

I doubt it, but maine is way to close to canada to be trusting poeple

Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
ron333
Captain

Interesting... Maybe my truck has other issues I wasn't aware of. I do know that when I adjusted the cable, it did cause the tranny to shift later into each gear, and OD, and it also allowed it to shift out of OD sooner than it did before. Prior to adjusting it, I would have to push the throttle down most of the way to the floor before it would drop out of OD. After the adjustment, I would only have to push 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down to get it to do it. It would also go into OD at between 40 to 45 mph under light throttle, much earlier than it really should have. After I adjusted it, it wouldn't shift into OD until 45mph, regardless of how lightly I pressed the throttle, but as it hits 45mph, it then shifts into OD. It was also much easier to get it out of OD when pressing the peddle. Again these results are before the tuner. The tuner has made things even better, so I can't report on the changes after the tuner because it is a totally different scenario.

Since our trucks are from different years, so is it possible that mine is controlled differently than his? If this is the case, then I apologize for wasting everyone's time. I didn't think about his being newer than mine and thus may operate differently. If they don't operate differently, then I am at a loss as to why adjusting mine made such an improvement.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Hey Ron, are those 15 or 16 inch rims? They look great with those 37s

Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
ron333
Captain

Hey Ron, are those 15 or 16 inch rims? They look great with those 37s
They are 16x10 rims, and thank you.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

adjusting the cable will adjust the pressure in the trans , thats where you feel the difference, This is what im doing with the shift kit , cable adjustment , tweek it where i want it to shift...and if neon want the manul shifting type , should of gotten the shift kit that allows for it..

Quick Reply: New RPMs, and overdrive questions