2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My LMC All Chrome Grill Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My LMC All Chrome Grill Review

Ok I'm super picky with my stuff and when doing reviews basically want to point out all the flaws if any and even if they are super minor. I like to do this when selling stuff to. The reason is I know how picky I am and if someone else is as picky as me I don't want them to be dissapointed.

I also will say I inspected this carefully for any imperfections. I didn't do this with my stock grill but know it had some and if I had looked this closesly would have more than likely found just as many things if not more.

This is so far a nice grill and for the price I'd really recommend it over the OEM one. It looks good too.

Well, I got my all chrome grill from LMC today and decided to go ahead and put it on the truck. My first impression is the quality is okay. I wouldn't say it's as nice as the OEM one but what do you expect for as cheap as it is compared to the OEM one. The chrome grill insert part looks okay to me. I was worried I wouldn't like it as I really liked the gray one. You can see it's just a coating or paint or something if you get upclose to it but you have to be really close inspecting it. As long as you stand a foot or more away you don't see the imperfections. The other imperfections I tried to take a picture of but it doesn't show up is if you look from and angle you see what looks to be a ding. It's on each side in near the same spot so I think it's normal. You can only see it if you get at the right angle. I also saw some spots in my OEM one though so I assume it's normal. As far as getting it to fit I had a little trouble on the install but not much. It seemed to not want to go high enough so the middle lower tab I bent up as thats what it seemed to be hitting. I then got it installed. After finishing I'm not sure that I actually needed to bend it up. I think I just had to put one side in and bolts loosely on it then do the other side. I remember when I put the OEM one back on It was harder to get to fit than I thought too. I don't know that this one is any worse putting on than OEM you just have to be paitent with it. It seemed to be a slight gap in the middle of the hood at the top. It wasn't much though and after hitting on the emblem on the outside it seemed to slide in and after tightening the nuts up basically is pretty much non existant. Might be slightly more than OEM but not much if any and I don't think it's any worse after I tightened it up. I can't tell it's a gap at all unless looking at the top closely and I strongly suspect the OEM did this too.

Overall I can't comment on how well this grill will hold up but so far the quality seems to be pretty good. I'd give it probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. It's a nice looking grill and seems to be decent quality and fits well. I did crack two of the tabs when putting it on. Seems like it's hard not to do this as my old OEM one I had done this and when I took it off all 4 broke off. One used grill I had bought had 3 of the 4 broken off and I've heard of others with this issue. This isn't broken yet just cracked so I think if I ever take it off those two might break. This isn't that this grill isn't quality there as they all do it. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Anyway here are the pictures.

After taking my old grill off I decided to take pictures with no grill.
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck006.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  68.6 KB
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck007.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  106.7 KB

Here is the grill
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck002.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  61.8 KB
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck005.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck018.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  96.3 KB
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck009.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  92.6 KB
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck016.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  100.6 KB
Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck013.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default RE: My LMC All Chrome Grill Review

Even though this is a old picture of the truck I thought I'd go ahead and throw up a picture of the old grill on there for comparision. I wasn't sure if I'd like the chrome honey comb but the more and more I look at it the more it's growing on me. I'm really liking it.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the time spent
in the high quality writing and pictures posted

perhaps someone wanting to start a small part time business
will look at the pictures with the grill removed
and be inspired to create an aerodynamically improved grill
that still looks good
and slightly improves MPG at highway speeds?

What would such a new 'nose'
look like?

Inspect a Mercedes SUV ML500 grille
or the 2008 Toyota Tundra with its black rubber 'dimple patch'
similar to golf ball surfaces.....

leaning the top of the grille back
and the bottom of the grille out closer to the bumper's farthest spot
will improve airflow

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great review HTM! I think I just might spring for one of these next month.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Baddnet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great ..and compairing it to OEM.. I think it looks way better... and price wise.. well ummm... I would be afraid to ask dealer the price for a hunk of plastic.. LOL.. but LMN one look just as good to me

Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah I can't remember what the dealer wanted it was over $300 I think. LMC actually had one that looked like OEM or maybe it actually was I don't know if they still have it or not but I think it was like $280 plus shipping or something like that. It's hard to remember prices and those are from around a year ago or slightly more. This one for $90 plus shipping seemed like a great deal to me and it looks good. I will have to see how it lasts.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Dude I think it looks GREAT !!

Name:  LMCAllChromeGrillforTruck009.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  92.6 KB

Hey Mods - How about sticking this up in the DIY section?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

+5!!

It really changed the whole over-all look bud.. Looks sharp! NICE!

Makes me what to go get mine already!! Will be going with the chome also!! but with an aftermarket mesh..

5 Stars! PiMpIn ride.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I agree. It looks much better and very classy. I really like the chrome honeycomb. Very nice job and thanks for the review.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That things so dang bright you're going to have wax that bumper. I keep staring at it thinking "My God, that's bright, but I love it."

So glad you went out on the limb for us all.

Quick Reply: My LMC All Chrome Grill Review