2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Take on Aircleaners

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Bruce RnC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Take on Aircleaners

Replaced the ugly & inefficient stock airbox with an Edelbrock Pro Flow 1002. Tho, with a slight twist. Instead of using the 'normal' bent all-thread, I drilled a 9/64' hole in the front of the air cleaner base and used a #6 self threading screw as aset screw. (See Pictures Belolw) Of course, an aftermarket breather was installed. A Spectre in this case. At least by the dependable S.O.P. dyno, the truck has a whole lot more acceleration.

Shows the set screw on the aircleaner

Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another Take on Aircleaners

Looks Good!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a lot of noise from that unit?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Baddnet
Professional

I like those..looks really good .. I had one on my 5.0... only thing was it would suck the foam filter bits in when it gets a lil old... and if you ever have a back fire out intake... it burns real easy

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that same intake on my truck and have for a while now. I didn't use a set screw I just bent the bracket that came with it. That bracket seemed to be flimsy and would let the air cleaner unseat it self a little as it would be back. I got fed up after a day or two and went down to a local machine shop with the bracket bent how it needed to be and told them to make me one of those stronger. They did and the one I have now I don't think I could bend if I wanted to without a lot of heat or a machine. It's super heavy duty and holds it down really nicely. After getting that issue fixxed I like this intake okay. The only downsides are it says to clean the filter every 2k miles I think I read that which is failry often and the bracket to hold it cost me $30 which is more than the intake did. It's still cheaper than most options though and seems to work fairly well. It does make a lot of sucking noises though.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Bruce RnC

Right now the only time I get a loud sucking noise from it is when I get on her real hard. Under normal driving the noise is hardly noticeable. And with the stereo on noise is non existant.
Baddnet- thanks for the heads-up on what to look forlater on.

hometheaterman- I read aboutyour mounting in another post. I came up with this idea when I remembered that some aircleaners for 1 bbl carbs used a setscrew to mount them to the carb & thought that this might be a simple way to mount this filter. So far - sogood.

Quick Reply: Another Take on Aircleaners