2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to take this dang thing off? -

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to take this dang thing off? -

So I got the water pump off,, yay, now do I need to get one of these (below) new? I cant for the life of me take it off lol .. Also, besides scraping off the old gasket, is there any thing I can use to help soften it up?

Another stupid question.... Do I need to put the gunk on both sides of the gasket when I replace it? it almost seems like the last person who replaced the water pump only put it on the timing chain cover side.

Thanks for helping my newbienmess out :-)
Name:  00001-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  38.1 KB

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: How to take this dang thing off? -

that's the heater return hose pipe. Just get a new one, it's like $10. The brand I got at Autozone was the HELP! brand and fits perfectly.

I tugged at that thing for 20 minutes before I bent it in two and it split. It wouldn't budge an inch.

I gunked both sides of the TC gasket and WP gasket.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

LMAO
just kidding.
spray some solvent/parts cleaner towards the bottom of the tube where it enters the water pump and wiggle it some, shouldnt be THAT hard unless the dummy who did it before didnt REPLACE THE O_RING, just "yeah dat sumbitch, imma squirt me some of dat krazy glueee in there and that'll seal that thang up!".... who knows...

gasket sealer = clean engine with wire brush, clean with solvent, let dryt and spray the gasket directly with the gasket sealer and stick it to the water pump. Then re-assemble.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ive NEVER broken one.
Knock on wood.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have, seen them rust through too..

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
timsalas
Veteran

sweet thanks guys, after cleaning drying etc, I put tha water pump back on, Im hopin i didnt mess up and it leaks lol now i needs ta get me that pipe then reasemble everythign else and I should be good to go.. hopefully lol I hope to be done either today or tomorow pending weather of course

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
jagxtype
Professional

all 4 times i did water pumps on the magnum i have used the original only to take it off shortly after for leaking. It is best to save yourself the headache all together and go get the help tube.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: XXL 1500

ive NEVER broken one.
Knock on wood.
I hereby curse you to break the next 3.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 AM
timsalas
Veteran

LOL, I got the thang off,, lol after about 1 hrs worth of wiggling and spraying it I finally got it off,, seems in good condition after cleaning it up etc. No rust, o ring actually looks good as well Ill order a new one however, and just use this one while I wait for the new one to arive.. Neitehr Napa nor Shucks auto suppy has it there, in fact, the people working at shucks seemed pretty cluless when I brought the water pump in. they tried to tell me that it comes with it on the water pump.. lol, they were trying to prove me wrong and got a water pump out to show me.. guess what,, no pipe lol I shouldnt have gone to that shucks I went too, the other one I usually go to actually have people working there that are actual gear heads meh. Anyways Im 90% done with ma truck's water pump, lettin' the sealent stuff cure over night then finishing it up and hopefully it wont leak lol.. wish me luck heh

And I really really appreciate all the help you guys have given me!

I still have a bunch of stuff to do with the truck, but hopefully nothing big at the moment.. i'm hoping that I find a loose bolt on my torque converter so I wont have to fork over 1400 bux to get a new one :-(

-tim

Quick Reply: How to take this dang thing off? -