2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help with 98 ram V8 5.9L 4x4 doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
eddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 98 ram V8 5.9L 4x4 doesnt start

My truck died on me likea monthago, i pulled out of my friends house and it just turned off with 20 feet where it was parked, i had to push it back after all because it didnt want to start[:'(].
Um so i pulled it to my house later. I checked fuel pump its working good and fuel injectors gets gas too.
Spark plug wires are good.
I have two computers for it, so one of them works for sure, but when i conect them they act the same.
Coil works, i checked it with electric meter, basicly its good.
Crank sensor is good, it have been checked.
Cam sensor is good, i checked it too.
Checked the ignition wires and all posible wire conectors all over the truck that are visible to me.
The over drive light is half way lit, and it has a pulse.
Theres no smell of burned wires or any thing.
And when i start it the first timeafteritsits there for a while it gets one spark and nothing after.
I conectedthe snap-on scaner and it tells me that the key is not in ignition while it is and it tells me that it doesnt comunicate with the computer which is on the truck....
If anybody can help me out over here i`ll really appreciate it...
By the way does any body know where can i look at wiring diagram for all the wires... Im guessing some thing is up with the wires..

THANKS.....

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help with 98 ram V8 5.9L 4x4 doesnt start

The only thing i can think of is you got the connectors switch on the pcm. make sure thats ok before we go digging into this more , hope some will chime in with the order that they connect to the pcm..

Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
eddy

Yeah i checked the conectors and they`re fine, i even took the big stack of wires apart to check for any burns..[&o]

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Gene563
Rookie

I'm no mechanic but, did you check the ignition switch. If it's not recognizing the key, maybe there is a problem with the switch itself.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Bhanson

sounds like the coils. mine did that same thing and the old coil was shorting out. i could let it sit over night then go out and fire it up for about 3 mins then it would die. i changed the coil and its works perfect ever sence. hope that helps....even if i works sometimes mine dint work all the time so just try replacing it and see what happends

Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: Gene563

I'm no mechanic but, did you check the ignition switch. If it's not recognizing the key, maybe there is a problem with the switch itself.
+1 on the ignition switch. I had an old Pontiac that had the switch go outand it acted similar to your truck. Sometimes it would crank, othertimes it would not. I replaced the switch in the column and the car ran like it was supposed to.

Quick Reply: need help with 98 ram V8 5.9L 4x4 doesnt start