2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome Diff Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chrome Diff Covers

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

I powdercoated my chrome diff cover (10yrs ago). Really need to get something much strongernow, if I stick with the 9.25 rear end. (painting diff/axles regardlessnext week)

How much did that cost you? Since I can't find the clear ones I'm really liking that look too.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How do you powdercoat something?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh come on guys took me 5 secs to find the clear ones![sm=badbadbad.gif] Go here: http://spideraccessories.stores.yahoo.net/td8404.html

says good for dodge ram "rear end cover fits 1974-2002 Dodge Ram"

Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I looked on eBay and Jegs where I someone said they were and only found chrome. Guess I wasn't looking in the right place.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the Mopar 9.25 chrome cover on mine, cant remember what I paid back in 98 for it. I sent it into a powder coating shop alongwith my MP valve covers and a dipstick and got charge 200 bucks.

Since last fall I doall my own powder coating myself now. Sand blast the piece, fill imperfectionsif needed (depending on where piece is)and wash it with stuff called metal ready, then spray it with powder, bake it at 375*(depending on powder)for 20min after the powder starts to flow out. Powder coating takes a real beating without chipping or scratching. Lifted the truck with my floor jack (no rubber pad) at least 200 times before it finally started to chip off the bottom.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

even tho its pricey , im going with the PML black powder coat covers..

Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I was wondering about powder coating on engine parts...can handle high heat then? Cause I was thinking of powder coating my stock diff cover and IF I did the header replacement powder coating the headers and the valve covers all the same color....

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I don't really like the look of chrome diff covers on anything other then a show car/truck. Chrome diff covers only look good if the rest of your axle, shocks, brakes, frame, etc around it look good too. Most trucks that are running a chrome diff cover have muddy, rusted out, pitted up shocks and axle tubes, and oily differential housings. Just looks stupid to me when everything under your truck looks like crap, but you have a nice shiny cover in the middle of it all. Makes it stick out like a sore thumb. Just my 2 cents.

That clear cover is interesting.

Dayyyyummmm....ya nailed me to a cross and hung me from a tree with that one. It's true, I have not been under my truck with several cans ofdollar store spray bomb and a bristle brush lately. But surely you could keepyour dirty side as clean as your engine.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I looked on eBay and Jegs where I someone said they were and only found chrome. Guess I wasn't looking in the right place.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAR...spagenameZWD1V

Old 04-12-2008, 07:21 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timidone, cant powder coat headers cause they get too hot. Anything else pretty well though you can (no rubber/composites though)

Another option is the Mag-Hytec covers, look just like the Mopar black wrinkle valve covers and open element fipk.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=11&P age=1&gclid=CM6CxZi01ZICFQQIFQodkVt8_A

Quick Reply: Chrome Diff Covers