2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

found plenum leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: found plenum leak

did mine yesterday.. installed the intake today.. i used the felpro.. the Hughes kit comes with an all metal Victor Reinz.. its good too.. either will work. I used the Fel pro for the plenum.. it looked like a more substantial gasket.. it too have metal inside it.. the Victor Reinz is all metal... says to use no RTV.. just didnt convince me... but..I ordered the lower intake set from Hughes as well.. came with bolts and the gaskets for the head to manifold... they too were Victor Reinz.. very high quality for the lower and valley gaskets.. used them on install..

Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
98Woo2500
Professional

how do i check to see if i have the plenum leak.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

First get yourself a metal coat hanger, a small piece of cotton cloth and some duct tape. Straighten out the coat hanger so that you have a nice and long flexible tool to ram down your Ram's throat. Wrap the cloth around one end of the hanger and duct tape everything together so that the cloth doesn't fall off the hanger. Now remove your air hat from the throttle body and open up the throttle valves using the throttle lever on the side of the throttle body. Now just gently jam the cloth end of the hanger into the bottom of your intake manifold to start your inspection. Move the large swab all around the bottom of your intake to cover the area. Pull out the swab. If you find a light amount of oil on the swab, no worries. If there is quite a bit of oil on the swab, then you might want to consider replacing that plenum gasket to prevent oil from being sucked into your intake. Otherwise just do what most people do and just pretend like you don't have a plenum, let alone a plenum leak.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 PM
nater_660

got 218000 on the original engine and tranny, just checked it last week have a real slight film but no pooling at all.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur

Mine doesnt seam to have the power it use to but i was told that if im not burning oil then the plenum is not leaking. Am i wrong. I pulled off my "hat" and looked throught the tb and it was black but no pools to speak of.

Quick Reply: found plenum leak