2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPGs

Well guys, I have some good news. I've been doing a lot of driving lately, so I've had a chance to really get to know the transmission and the truck. I've been taking it very easy lately, and just appreciating the truck. And in doing so, something great has been happening...my MPGs have been skyrocketing. When I first got the truck back last month from the transmission shop, the truck was averaging 8.6 miles per gallon. Yeah, was pretty sickening. I just remember saying to myself,"great, I just dumped all this money into a gashog...". Since I've been keeping it cool and taking care of the truck, I've gotten the truck to numbers I'd never thought I'd see. As of now, I am at 12.6 miles per gallon. Can you believe it? I'm getting better mpgs than when I first got the truck (12.2). I'm so happy to see the truck is capable of these numbers. I've thought about it too. This truck stock from the factory with 275 sized tires, averages 13 city, and 17 highway. So I am getting off the lot numbers, with 35" tires, I could not be any more happy right now. Not to mention, the numbers are still going up. Just in the last week, the numbers have kept crawling and crawling, bit by bit. It won't be too long till it reaches 13mpgs. I guess I'm just curious as to why they suddenly dropped so much last fall. One would have thought it was going to be that plenum, but obviously if its getting stock numbers, she's doing quite alright.

Even if the mist of all the great gase mileage, I've even had time for a little fun. Yesterday I got stuck at a light, and a black mazda3 all limo tinted pulls besides me. He had his window down, and he had this goofy *** chrome chain on, the studded earings, and his music blaring. Then he starts revving his little lawn mower at me, trying to egg me on lol. So, my brother mike says to me, "give him what he wants". So the light turns green, and I slam the gas. The truck just takes off and I was in the zone. The whole time I could just see this little car in my peripheral, but he wasn't pulling on me. It was just like he was glued to the corner of my rear bumper lol. Then at 90mph, he let off drasticaly, and so did I. It was an awesome feeling though. I'm sure he had no clue a lifted mud truck was going to tear his *** a new one. At the next light he pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up. It was really exciting though, had the adrenaline pumping lol. But I've been taking it really easy. I got to have my fun somewhere now and then, but I'm mostly just working on my growing my averages up, and it's really working. Still waiting on my K&N to show up. Up next will for sure be the Fastman.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Dedmeat1
Default RE: MPGs

It's nice to have it when you want it isn't it?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I get about 12.5mpg if I do mixed highway and city. If I do all city I seem to get about 10.5mpg and I've seen as high as 14.25 mpg on the highway before I fixxed my pleneum. I'm getting about the same after it so not 100% sure it was really bad. The lower intake gaskets were though and it was starting to get some oil on the pleneum pan so I had it fixxed anyway.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Oh BTW you might want to check the speed ratings on your tires. A lot of big tires like that aren't rated for very high speeds so going on up there in speed is just asking to have one blow out. I'm not even going to get into how unsafe street racing is as I've already said that. Just check and make sure your tires are atleast rated to handle those speeds before you have one blow out and hurt yourself or someone else.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:22 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed rating are for sustained high speed, not for just a quick burst.
There are a lot of thing I would worry about whilestreet racing a lifted 4x4 but tire speedrating wouldn't beone of them.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

What happened to the "The truck is scary at 70mph?"

Old 04-13-2008, 03:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: rabbler

Speed rating are for sustained high speed, not for just a quick burst.
There are a lot of thing I would worry about whilestreet racing a lifted 4x4 but tire speedrating wouldn't beone of them.
It's just another one of those things that are unsafe at those speeds that I'd watch out for.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Wish I had known you wanted a K&N.. hell mine is brand new and I havent been able to sell the damn thing...LOL[:@]

Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

lol oh man! I didn't dare ask anyone on this forum though...they swear by the airhat.[8D]

Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 PM
pipeking
Veteran

did i miss somthing??what is letting you get such good mpgs.what hace you done other than the tranny??i would love to know since i missed it!

Quick Reply: MPGs