2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheap way to make my truck faster!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lvolson
I realize you guys are dramatizing this thread a bit but 250hp if you're lucky? I've seen crate 318 engines advertised with 300hp (not sure how modified they are).
Sure 300 at the crank. Bolt that slushbox to it and slap some big cushy mudders on there and immediately subtract 100 for what you'll put to the pavement in the real world. 250hp at the tire/asphalt interface is fairly respectable for one of these things without going in to deep.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lvolson
You are not really serious about only getting 250 from a TB, headers, high flow exhaust, etc., are you?
You will only have about 250 at the crank after those mods if that. These trucks are pretty well engineered for power from the factory compared to their predecessors (believe it or not). Its not like the good old days when you put an exhaust on your truck and made 50 hp because the factory stuff was so pathetic. The factory stuff on 2nd gen rams actually works pretty well. The heads and exhaust manifolds and exhaust were near the best ever (if not the best) installed in a Dodge pickup until the HEMI. Yeah these trucks are riddled with problems but in order to get any where near 300 rwhp you will need to do some serious mods (much more than bolt ons).

Quick Reply: Cheap way to make my truck faster!