2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

aftermarket intake? 1.7's ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:57 AM
erikb45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket intake? 1.7's ?

i have a plenum leak so will be removing the intake soon and instead of modifying it was wondering if their is a aftermarket intake out there for sale. from mopar or summit?
any body with experiance with one?

also what gains do you guys get from 1.7 rocker arms. is it worth it?
what is the brand of choice?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: aftermarket intake? 1.7's ?

Unfortunately there arent many intakes to choose from...you have "agressive, and more agressive" Theres no mid rpm style intake thats basicly designed to improve flow in stock range. They are also rediculious money too.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A modded kegger is a good mid rpm range upgrade. Less agressive then the other alternatives. That would be about your best option with the mods you currently have.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M1/2BBL, M1/4BBL and Hughes F1 airgap your choices. All will move the power band up too high for what you have and reduce low rpm torque, for a small gain at hi rpms. Not worth it in your case.
Most go with Harland Sharp 1.7rr they are a good bang for the buck
I had Crower 1.7rr few years back but switched to the HS 1.6 when I stroked the motor

Old 04-13-2008, 06:01 PM
erikb45
Veteran

thanks , where is the ower gain from roller rockers? and how does it work?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.7 rr gain up to 20 hp , less friction with it being a roller rocker plus the rocker use the needle nose bearings , plus you get a slight lift with intake and exhaust...

Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM
erikb45
Veteran

mmmmmmm very interesting might have to go get me some of those.

hows the install? i do
have a torque wrench

Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

I just did mine today.. ( reinstalling them.. I installed new lifters and pushrods today along with a Hughes plenum repair kit...) The install is as easy as it gets... you'll spend more time taking the damn valve covers off...you'll need the torque wrench.. I used long, allen sockets.. and a short one for the rocker that sits under the brake booster....the long allens were incase the rocker was at its steepest angle.. if your allen sockets are really short... you might encounter a problem with the socket hitting the rocker itself...so the long ones take care of that.. or.. you can turn the motor over till the cylinder is at TDC so that the rocker is in a good position to torque down. Harland Sharp says an additional .030" on lift for both intake and exhaust.. and these fit under the stock valve covers.. non adjustable ones are just bolt on.. torque them down.. you dont have to go to TDC for each cylinder when torqueing..

Just realized... I may have made it sound like the plenum repair is as easy.. its not hard.. just longer to do.. the rockers dont need the intake off of course.. if your doing the plenum and rockers.. well, I had mine down to the lifter valley in about 3 hours....( I'm totally compulsive about labeling and cleaning..so maybe 2 if your gonna just take it down..) I installed lifters, pushrods, cleaned and painted the intake, did the Hughes pan.. cleaned the injectors...and had it ready to reinstall on the second day... but.. I waited and did the rockers while the intake was off so it was easier to get to everything.. including the cap and wires..got the intake on..then the valve covers..I havent yet started putting everything back like the accesories.. bracket..etc.. because I am also doing my timing chain and water pump.. ( they are off the truck.. just need to spend time cleaning the timing case, install the gears and put everything back.)

The 1.7's are easy and nows a good time to do it if your going to... with the intake off, if anything accidently goes down through the head into the valley.. its right there....very install..great Bang for the buck!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
pipeking
Veteran

where does the power come from?not because it has less friction,right?is it because you get a little lift out of the valves.does it make for beter mpgs?its hard to make more hp without burning more gas.i am getting interested in rr too,so can someone lay down the cold hard facts for erick45 and me.please?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

I dont know if its "power" you'll get. but more efficient breathing.. which in turn creats more horsepower.. less friction+ better air movement= more HP??? I have them and it acts like a very mild cam.. pushing more through whats still stock.. valves and heads..???
I'm actually very interested because I am installing my timing set tomorrow.. and if the 1.7's are opening more.. could retarding the timing set by say.. 4* help in better combustion??? ( I am looking for low end torque.. almost never get above 3500-4000 ...) I have had several people tell me to advance them for more low end torque...I will be posting pics of the work including the HS rockers installed...but still havent decided yet to how I will install the timing set.... but.. to stay in post..

your stock rockers are 1.6.. by going to 1.7's on a stock motor.. you'd be movig more through the valves without changeing your cam... = more HP?? well, more efficient breathing is always a good thing.
Mine are part of a "package" kind of thing...round AC,Bigger TB, modded Intake, 1.7 RR's, headers, Hi-flo cat, 3"exhaust...moves air in and out better...if the money was there.. a cam and heads would do the trick...[:@]Its all about moving air!!! ( gears are another story....LOL )

Quick Reply: aftermarket intake? 1.7's ?