2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Post up your clear corners

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Post up your clear corners

Those chrome bulbs aren't going to give you a ticket. They are just the turn signals bulbs, they don't affect your headlamps or anything. I always see guys spend money on getting clear corners, but then they stick those ugly orange turning signals bulbs back in and it just defeats having the clears to begin with. Those bulbs still light up orange when you turn, or when you have your lights on as well. The corner lenses kind of slide in, you just pull them towards the grille and they slide out. I forget if there is an inititial screw that holds them, but they are very easy to slide out.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran

I know for sure theres a phillips screw in the side underneath the lense. There might be another screw in the front i'm not sure. Then the lense slides out if you pull straight out from the front of the truck. Because there's a tab on the inside of the lense that slides into a groove. I'm running the stock bulbs in mine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52598/61D6D022F759440CB27E91F3F86ABBC1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

To get at the corners when I had the two piece units, I had to pull out the whole assembly a little. Maybe there was an easier way, but thats the way I did it.

The size is 3157 for our newer 2nd Gens. For the slightly older ones (not sure on the year cut-off), it would be 1157.

The bulb doesn't have to be amber in amber coated housings. Since yours is clear now, yes, to remain legal the bulb has to light up amber. However, I've seen some people buy cheapy clear bulbs, that light up white or yellow, to stick in their clear turn signals, and I've never heard of someone getting pulled over for it.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LOL nobody is listenting to me...You don't have to buy cheapo bulbs. They make parking bulbs that are coated chrome so they look like they aren't there, but will light up orange. No cop would ever even notice a thing, and to boot, they are not illegal, they light up perfectly orange when in function. If your going to buy clear corners, make sure you put chrome coated parking bulbs in there, otherwise it defeats the purpose of getting the clear corners in the first place. An orange bulb will destroy the entire look.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you are saying about the chrome bulbs. I may go that route or I may go with LED's I'm not sure yet. I know if it's amber it wont get you a ticket. What I was saying I would like to go with are the Super White ones from APC that hopefully would be a closer match to my headlights.

Thats the type I'm talking about. Usually they light up white with a hint of blue. I'm afraid those will get me a ticket so I don't know that I want to go with those. I'm not sure if I sould go with LED's or amber bulbs that are chrome when unlit or even if I want to just throw a set of clear white bulbs in there. I don't like them when they light up amber either but at the same time I don't want a ticket.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

LOL nobody is listenting to me...You don't have to buy cheapo bulbs.
ORIGINAL: jason.w

Since yours is clear now, yes, to remain legal the bulb has to light up amber.
I didn't say it had to be amber, I said it has to light up that way, like your silvers do. I never said you have to buy cheapos either, I just said that some people do. I am listening, trust me.

I had those silver coated ones for my Dakota when I had clear corners on it. They worked just as good as stock. I kept my amber coated bulbs for the Ram though, doesn't give it an "egg" look, but makes the sides slightly more amber. Looks great, IMO, rather than becoming ricerish.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

No you weren't listenting to me Jason!! j/k[8D]

Hometheater, why do you want to put blue bulbs in though? I think that looks really silly IMO. I mean, if they are lit, who cares if they are orange? It's just when the lights are off, it will remain clear. But when your turning, or when your lights are on, nobody can tell they are clear anyways. Personally, I would just go with the chrome coated bulbs. Leaves the true clear look, and when you are turning or have your lights on, they appear like they should.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I leave my lights on all the time mostly even during the day and just don't like amber. I think those blue bulbs will be a closer match to the headlights than any others so thats why I think they will look good.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I have some bulbs that show out white like my piaa bulbs...not cheap though at $50 a set but supposely they are 20% will travel 15% further and will last 10% longer lol

I can TRY to take a pic at night...don't know if it will come out ok.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

You paid $50 for corner light bulbs? Wow. What brand are they? PIAAs are a lot cheaper than that.

Quick Reply: Post up your clear corners