2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PLEASE READ AND HELP! NEW TRANNY NOW MOTOR RUNS LIKE SHI*T!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 PM
fitpays
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE READ AND HELP! NEW TRANNY NOW MOTOR RUNS LIKE SHI*T!

hey guys, please write me to calm me down. my transmission was going so i took it to a very reputable transmission place and paid 1900.00 to have my tranny rebuilt with new torque converter, new module solenoid etc etc. when i took the truck in, it ran like a MILLION BUCKS -other than i knew the tranny was going bad. well, i picked it up yesterday and it was running like total crap! the guy at the shop said he checked under the hood and it looked like the plug wires were bad and to get it tuned up. so today i took it to a local garage (with no computers) and got a tune up done. i picked it up from them tonight, and it runs even worse!!!!! the head mechanic/owner was not there. just the back up mechanic -who happened to be the guy who worked on my truck. he said "i tuned it up but it still runds like crap". i took it around the block and it was backfiring and barely would run. i went back to the shop and he said it has a lot of miles on it, and sounds like a burnt valve. so by now, i'm ready to kill this guy. the truck ran perfect when i took it for the trans job, so how did it burn a valve while it was in their garage? do you guys think that they could have knocked a wire loose or broke a sensor or something when putting the tranny back in? the truck has a ton of miles on it, but i just have a tough time believing that it all of a sudden burnt a vlave or blew up. the plan now is to take it back to the local garage tomorrow and they will check it over a little more carefully and see if they can find the problem. if they can't they will call a guy that brings a diagnostic computer in on his truck and chreck it out with that. what do you guys think it is? i am having a a couple cold ones trying to calm down. i cant bear the thought of spending another 3 grand on this thing to get a rebuilt motor right now!!!!! i guess when i took the truck to both shops to have it fixed, i swhould have specified that i wanted it to run when i got it back. i didnt know there were different interpretations of the word "fixed". any suggestions as to what is the problkem? by the way, the check engine light is flashing.
thanks for reading and replying. please reply.
--dave

Old 01-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: PLEASE READ AND HELP! NEW TRANNY NOW MOTOR RUNS LIKE SHI*T!

The tranny shop might have damaged the crankshaft position sensor while they were removing/installing the trans. Since the check engine light is on, the first thing to do is get it scanned and find out what code it's setting. Most auto parts will do that for free.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 AM
fitpays
Amateur

thanks for the feedback. a friend of mine works at a ford dealer and we went there after hours to look at it. we hooked it up to the diagnostic computer they have for dodge/jeep stuff. he was never trained for that so the two of us had to learn how to use it as we went along. long story short, the number 1 and number 3 plug wires were put on in the wrong order (reversed). wtf? so now i am hoping the shop will make good on it by putting my new rotors and pads on with free labor. i think they owe me that much. how do you let a vehicle leave your shop running like that? unbelievable. like i said -i expect something for free out of this mess. and no doubt, i wont take the truck there for anything other than oil changes and brakes from here on out. thanks for the help though. the crank sensor was a good guess.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Cool deal. I'm glad you got it sorted out. At the very least, that shop should kiss you *** a little and apologize.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Snafu

Glad you got it worked out. Just one reason I don't trust anyone but myself to touch my vehicles. [:@]

Old 01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
fitpays
Amateur

the shop knocked 35 bucks off my brake job i had scheduled with them. not quite enough in my opinion. i am switching to a garage in the next town.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ AND HELP! NEW TRANNY NOW MOTOR RUNS LIKE SHI*T!