2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painted my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:15 AM
IndyRamMan
|
Champion
Default RE: Painted my exhaust

ORIGINAL: TIMIDONE

Indy....I need to know the specs on that exhaust system...it is EXACTLY what I want to do! My mind has been wondering how to get around emissions and the fed cat law and etc. On top how to do dual exhaust from long tubes and side exit before the rear tire!

Those flowmaster 10's? 20's? Please help man and I'd be forever in your debt.
you have another foot or so to play with. It shouldnt be diffacult. Connects at the headers, goes over the crossmember, down slightly and then to the 10s, and out the side. I dont have my measurements of how I wanted it done anymore, but Ill take a tape measure to it tomorrow before I put it back on.

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:21 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Thank you very much, love the cat idea just to bypass emissions, great idea! I really didnt want to run 2 cats out. That one cat passed the law and emissions? great if so.

I think 10's might make me go deaf so I might just still go with super 44s...still young enough to want have my hearing but married long enough that if I lost it it wouldnt be the worst thing in life!

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:28 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Can you fit super 44's in a setup like that? They are smaller than the 40s aren't they? Still I'd be worried about the clearance. You should check that out before you buy them to make sure they will work. The 10 series are tiny thats why they are good in a lot of setups like this. You are right though. Everything I've heard says they are just as loud as straight pipes only with a different tone.

Old 04-18-2008 | 02:07 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

I've had a couple of exhaust guys actually tell me that, for normal use (not racing, off-roading, etc.), its technically illegal to put two cats onto a vehicle if it didn't come with two from the factory.

Its a bull**** law written by some pencil pusher, because it doesn't hurt anything, but supposedly thats how the Feds stand on the issue of installing dual cats.

That being said, it sounds like half of us here have gutted cats, so I doubt anyone cares so much about the cats, let alone single or duals or whatever...

My Super 44 is 20 inches long from inlet to outlet.

Old 04-18-2008 | 07:50 AM
IndyRamMan
|
Champion

ORIGINAL: TIMIDONE

Thank you very much, love the cat idea just to bypass emissions, great idea! I really didnt want to run 2 cats out. That one cat passed the law and emissions? great if so.

I think 10's might make me go deaf so I might just still go with super 44s...still young enough to want have my hearing but married long enough that if I lost it it wouldnt be the worst thing in life!
lol, nice. I have no clue on the length of the 44s, but it should fit for you no problem. 10s are really way too loud. Im hard of hearing as it is so its not a big bother for me as it is for some people.

Old 04-18-2008 | 11:05 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

Indy, how far back do the Pacesetter LTend in relation to the body?
At the back of the front wheel well or farther back?
Ill go look in the morning, but I think its JUST past the wheel well. I think its infront of the door though.

Had quite a kick driving open headers today. I made my neighbor drop her drink when I started it.
Thanks, wanted my race exhaust to exit directly below the small piece ahead of the door, on both sides, not sure if I can if its that far back. May just go with downturns off the headers.
Still debating my street exhaust options. Like to exit 3" out both sides of my bed just ahead of the rear tires but may just do what you did cause I dont need to cause myself any extra work lol.

What kind of paint did you use on the exhaust? High heat paint doesnt last long from my experience.

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:24 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I think the 10's are like only 6-8 inches long? I saw a pic of a guy comparing it to his 10 size shoe and it looked a good 2-4 inches smaller.

Now I just need to the measurement check with my local laws, get a fab shop to make it and poof I can **** my neighbors off!

Old 04-18-2008 | 05:29 PM
IndyRamMan
|
Champion

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Indy, how far back do the Pacesetter LTend in relation to the body?
At the back of the front wheel well or farther back?
Ill go look in the morning, but I think its JUST past the wheel well. I think its infront of the door though.

Had quite a kick driving open headers today. I made my neighbor drop her drink when I started it.
Thanks, wanted my race exhaust to exit directly below the small piece ahead of the door, on both sides, not sure if I can if its that far back. May just go with downturns off the headers.
Still debating my street exhaust options. Like to exit 3" out both sides of my bed just ahead of the rear tires but may just do what you did cause I dont need to cause myself any extra work lol.

What kind of paint did you use on the exhaust? High heat paint doesnt last long from my experience.
The headers come back 3" behind the front of the door, so no dice there.
I used regualar high heat paint, Thats what was on there before, lasted a couple months before it started to flake. Thats fine. It comes off in less than a half hour, so its no biggie.

Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  10.9 KB

Thats the measurements tim. Sorry its not all that big.

Old 04-18-2008 | 06:13 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

No problem I can read most of it I think...down and up by 35 degree angle, about?

Old 04-18-2008 | 06:34 PM
IndyRamMan
|
Champion

35-45ish. Take a look at the crossmember and youll see.

Quick Reply: Painted my exhaust